Shopping for a powerbook

M

malekai

I'm looking to purchase a powerbook primarily for video editing. My two PCs crashed on me. Any suggestions/recommendations regarding specs I should try to get? Any help is appreciated.

I have a canon GL1 that I shoot weddings and stuff with. Hoping to use FCP to edit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Well the best configuration for me when I bought mine two months ago was this:

15" PowerBook 1.5GHz
1GB Ram (You can upgrade to 2GB)
ATI 128MB video card
80 GB Hard drive
Comes with Bluetooth and Airport Extreme built in
Light-up keyboard

I love my PowerBook, there isn't anything I have found yet that I can't do on it. And it does it fast too.

Just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
from what i have heard Apple is hopefully going to upgrade the PowerBook some time early to mid 2005, so if you can i would hold off till then

OP
L

Lasha

Definitely. Apple are going to be updating the PowerBooks this January is the Macworld Expo in San Fransisco. When you do get the updated PowerBook, which I hope you'll wait for, a good 1GB of RAM should do you well enough, as rberry suggested. And make sure you order the processor with 128MB video memory to take full advantage of the 9700 Mobility ATI videocard that's in there. Talking about screen size, well, that just depends. A good 15 or a 17 inch would be fine, but 12inches is just TOO small. So, are you gonna wait for Apple to update the PowerBooks, I know I sure am, and I am planning on getting a PowerBook too! 15 inches, 1GB ram to start with. And all the default stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
rberry88 said:
Well the best configuration for me when I bought mine two months ago was this:

15" PowerBook 1.5GHz
1GB Ram (You can upgrade to 2GB)
ATI 128MB video card
80 GB Hard drive
Comes with Bluetooth and Airport Extreme built in
Light-up keyboard

I love my PowerBook, there isn't anything I have found yet that I can't do on it. And it does it fast too.

Just my 2 cents.

SAME EXACT COMPUTER WITH FCP ON IT.... works like a dream and it is incredible!!!! I am completly for that model, Dont get the 12" to small of screen to do video editing, don't get the 17" drains batery power to quickly if you are in a airport or something and want to get a head start on the editing. Also you might want to get a external 500GB hardrive because logging all the dvs add up quickly... That is my current oppion on what to get

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Hey, did you guys order your updated PowerBooks yet?? LOL, just kidding. Just think, you could have already been using a Powerbook, oh well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.