64 or 32 bit xp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
::24" 2.8ghz iMac w/ nVidia 8800GS::2.4Ghz Unibody Macbook::
So for one of my classes I have to run windows on my Mac. I can get a free download through my school, but I don't know if I should install the 32 bit or 64 bit xp. Any thoughts?

And the download is legit, but I'm guessing to run boot camp i'll have to burn it to a cd. Do you think that'll work? If not I can purchase the disk(s) and have them sent to my house.

Reaction score
Hey,
I had a similar question not too long ago.

To cut a long story short, I chose 32-bit. 64-bit works as well but the drivers supplied on your Leopard CD won't work with 64-bit and you've got to look and download the appropriate drivers yourself. Some people were also having problems getting wi-fi to work. So it can be done, but it saves a lot of headache to get the 32-bit and that's what I've got! Should hopefully install it today :)

If you want to read more, here's the thread I started: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120486
The talk about 64 or 32 bit is towards teh middle of that thread ;)

Best of luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
there also seem to be some application support issues with the 64bit version

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So how about installing it. It's a download from a a microsoft academic alliance site so it is legit. If I download it and burn it to a cd would I be able to install it through a boot camp partition or do I need to order the CD (costs like $25 and takes time for shipping)

Reaction score
You really want to install 64-bit?
Well your call but provided the CD is burnt correctly, it should be fine.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll probably use 32 bit. Vista is also an option, would that be better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Take it from someone who has used both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of XP Pro, stick with 32 bit. driver support plus application support for 64 bit XP is lacking immensely, Even 64 bit Vista is having teething pains, just stick with 32 bit Windows for now. just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
Aloha everyone,

See, there's yet another reason to switch to the Mac - it doesn't matter which CPU you have, either 32- or 64-bit, the OS installs on both. When Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard comes out next year, even though the kernel is 64-bit, the 32-bit Macs will still be able to install and run it. The Apple software engineers are truly gifted. Let's just say I love Cocoa!

HawaiiMacAddict

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.