Can Mac OS read an NTFS formatted external HD

Reaction score
Hi

My PC has currently 2 hard drives installed. I just bought an external enclosure to put that second hard drive in and plug in my mac.

I was wondering however if it would be able to see the files already on the drive, since it's NTFS formatted.

I plan on reformatting that drive once i plug it in my mac, but there's files i'd like to grab from that HD before doing that

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
You have read access to NTFS partitions but no write abilities, so in short, yes you can get your files off of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
There is some third party software which allows read/write access to NTFS drives. I'm not sure what it's called tho…lolz

OP
NumberSix
Reaction score
As long as i can read off of it, that's fine. Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
::24" 2.8ghz iMac w/ nVidia 8800GS::2.4Ghz Unibody Macbook::
I had the same problem. I copied all of my files off of my HD onto my desktop then I reformatted it then dragged it back into the HD. There's probably a better (faster) way to do it, but that worked for me!

OP
NumberSix
Reaction score
Well I won't be able to try it tonight. The enclosure I bought is IDE only, my HD is SATA. The box clearly says IDE/SATA, so I hope the store I bought it at will reimburse me or at least exchange for the right product.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is some third party software which allows read/write access to NTFS drives. I'm not sure what it's called tho…lolz

Paragon. Do a search here at Mac Forums for a whole lot of info on Paragon.

Reaction score
I use an external NTFS drive attached to my old laptop as a file server, and I can read and write to it.

I just connect to server using the PC's IP address and I can do whatever I want. I have the shared and have "allow users to change my files" checked. but it works great.

OP
NumberSix
Reaction score
Paragon. Do a search here at Mac Forums for a whole lot of info on Paragon.

Thanks for that.

Turns out I have a lot more files than I thought. So I think I'll just use that instead, and that way i'll be able to use it on the PC too if i want.

Is there any kind of disadvantage of keeping an NTFS partition on a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

http://www.ntfs-3g.org/

Here you go, Use it on my MacBook Pro, forget I even have it installed now a days since I never think about what formats my drives are unless I am wiping them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.