Changing Macbook HD Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
Alright guys.

So.. Uhmm.. Just wanted to be 100% sure before I change my HD. What I want to do is actually have all my applications transferred to my new HD. I dont mind reinstalling the OS but I'd like to have all my applications transfered without needing to install them all over again.

So I had a 160GB HD previously. And I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the HD. One problem I faced was that my mac was running EXTREMELY slow.

One suggestion I received from someone was to use Migration Assistant or Time Machine. But I dont have a spare mac. All I have is a spare 80GB HD and a 160GB HD which I want to swap with my mac.

Just so that you all don't get confused I have 1 80GB ( By default which is in my Macbook ) another 80GB which is for backups and a 160GB which I want to swap.

Another question. If I clone or use Migration Assistant. Will I be able to partition my HD for Windows if I use migration assistant?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
If I were you I would put in the new HDD, and do a fresh install of OS X on it. I'd then use Migration Assistant (by putting my old HDD in an enclosure - I assume you have a way to do this if you can clone) to move files and applications over. But that's just me - I'm sure everyone else has different views! Personally, I like a fresh install.

I guess you can partition before or after Migration Assistant if you want to use BootCamp. Possibly best to do it before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
A fresh install is nice but I choose the more direct route when I did mine because it was only a few weeks since a fresh install anyway.

1. new HDD in enclosure
2. Carbon Copy Cloned 'old' disk to new disk.
3. Booted from new disk while still in enclosure to make sure everything was still working ok.
4. Installed new HDD and put old HDD in the enclosure
5. Booted Mac as normal..... loads more disk space
6. Happy mrplow

So you have 2 ideas now...... but as mentioned above....there are many ways to acheive what you want

OP
Lytheil
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
Uhmm.. What format do I format it to? When I formatted to Mac OS Extended Journaled GUID Partition. It said that it didn't support. Then I did one which was freespace. Which wasn't readable either upon bootup. Its a hassel to open up the HD in and out. Could someone help me figure out what kind of partition/format I need to install OS10 on my HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Which way round are you trying to do it? If you're having trouble I would do a fresh install.

1. Put in new drive.
2. Put in OS X disk.
3. Boot from disk by holding down C at startup.
4. Open Disk Utility from the menu bar and erase and format the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
5. Install OS X.
6. Place old HD in enclosure.
7. Use Migration Assistant to transfer Applications etc. Or move other stuff you want across.

When I changed my HDD OS X wouldn't install until it had been erased.

OP
Lytheil
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just changed the HD. Thanks skaheadpunk. Now I'm transferring all my stuffs over with migration Assistant.

By the way. Is there a way to bring over all my mail accounts/emails , safari history/cache/bookmarks and other stuffs?

One more thing. Will migration assistant bring over Norton System works? I swear, that thing is like.. a LEECH!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.