Linux

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just have a few questions about Linux. :p

1) I went onto the Linux site, and they said something about distributions. Is it that there is no linux OS, but many versions of it? So Linus is the "base" format or something?

2) Will I be able to run all Linux programs on all types of distributions?

3) Installing Linux by bootcamp... Do you absolutely need a CD for that or can you download the OS onto your hard drive partition?

4) If I do install Linux by downloading it off of the internet, will it operate normally or do i have to do any extra steps?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are a wealth of Linux distributions to choose from. :) The most popular one seems to be Ubuntu 8.04. I've had Ubuntu installed as dual boot on my Windows machine for some time and it's a fun operating system.

If you would like to install it on your Mac the easiest way is to purchase a copy of VMWare Fusion and download a prebuilt VM of Ubuntu 8.04. The prebuilt VM is commonly called a "virtual appliance".

Go to the VMWare site and the Ubuntu site. Look around and read some of their forum threads.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
1) Linux is the kernel, GNU are the tools used to compile it. Thats why some distro's correctly say GNU/Linux

2) Yes

3) You need the CD

As chscag mentioned, there are a ton of distributions. Personally I hate Ubuntu, but it seems to be the most beginner friendly.

Reaction score
I also run Ubuntu 8.04 in a Fusion VM. Works very well and I agree, it's fun to mess around with. If you are going to play around with Linux there are numerous "flavors," and I would recommend using Fusion and creating virtual machines for each one and seeing what you can do with them.

Ubuntu comes with quite a bit of software already loaded (office apps, email photo editing, internet, remote access, games, etc.). Other versions, as I understand it, are all a bit different and have different purposes. Ubuntu is meant to be "Linux for the masses," hence the term Ubuntu - which means humanity in Swahili I think ...

Finding and loading software in Linux is something of a whole other discussion, which is why I would start with something like Ubuntu and go from there after you are up the curve a bit.

Anyway, I would start with Linux in a virtual machine and if you REALLY like it, then you could install it under Boot Camp but you'll need a distro disk for that.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.