Background-less windows are making me nuts...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.5ghz 4gb
Hi guys.... New switcher but thoroughly enjoying my Mac experience thus far.... As a professional photographer I am a little embarrassed that I kept finding excuses to not give MAC a try a while back...

I do however have 1 pet-peeve and I have tried everywhere to find a answer / solution to no avail .. I am sure that there is likely an easy answer out there but having not been able to find it has doubled my frustration I think... Here's the crux....

~ ~ When I open a application - PS CS3 for example - it opens in only what I can describe as an "frameless window" ... Meaning that I can see all the menu bars and palettes but there is no background in the void space between - meaning that without a file open I can see my desktop in the blank area of the app - which I find very odd visually when working on a photo that doesn't completely fill the void or when stacking various images...

Sooo.... Is there an easy way that I can get OSX to open these type of applications in a way so that the desktop doesn't show through the background void ?????

Thanks in advance...

Cheers,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
For some applications, this is exactly how they behave on a Mac. Personally I've just got used to it rather than trying to force things to work like Windows.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.5ghz 4gb
Thanks Khris...

For now I am opening those applications on my dual monitor which I have set the background to a neutral grey... At least that way it's less disconcerting..

In the field I will just have to live with it or temporarily disable my background and set it to black or 18% grey...

Just wish I didn't have to "work around it" as opposed to tailor it to my liking - I don't think it's a Windoze thing BTW more a VISUAL DISTRACTION thing....

Cheers,

Ps.. Haven't been in Edmonton for a few decades - is Klondike Days still a big deal.... Had Japanese friends of mine call me from Calgary Stampede while there on vacation last month and they were simply blown away - BIG (good) cultural shock for them...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Photoshop does have a "grey background" button in one of the toolbars to hide the Desktop and other applications to minimize visual interference. This is specific to Photoshop...sort of a "darkroom" to keep your eyes where you need them.
http://www.expertvillage.com/video/107005_photoshop-screen-modes-tutorial.htm.

Despite being named "Windows," that other operating system tends to encourage dedicating the entire screen to only one thing at a time. This is probably a legacy from the DOS days, when PCs could do only one thing at a time, so it's a pretty alien concept on the Mac.

If you're having trouble with this, you can:
1. Put an application in its own Space
2. Set your desktop to something less distracting, as you've done
3. Seek psychiatric help if you have trouble concentrating or staying focused. :) Like I said, one-thing-per-screen is a pretty

Reaction score
Switched just since 10 now, and I am starting to flirt with switch-switching...

This body program nonexisting nonsence is just shame-lame.

If we keep our home, I mean our real home as tidy as a mac os desktop is, we would live like turks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
So ditch it. Sorry, been this way for a very long time on this platform.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6
actually, I gotta say a few words here. When I first switched, that DROVE ME NUTS. I HATED it. But I got used to it, and realized that all the pros make it worthwhile.

Reaction score
Why not just set your background to grey? It seems you don't actually want to look at your background anyway :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.