Can I Get My Mac To Read Text...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800GS 512MB
Recently i've been messing around with the speech recognition on my new iMac and it got me to wondering if it was possible to make my mac read out-loud pages documents or web pages etc....Anyone know if its possible???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
System Preferences > Universal Access > Seeing and the option is "VoiceOver"

Reaction score
Recently i've been messing around with the speech recognition on my new iMac and it got me to wondering if it was possible to make my mac read out-loud pages documents or web pages etc....Anyone know if its possible???
Yes, just highlight the text, then press Command + S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
Yes, you can...

Oh! You wanted to know how? Okay, say you have a sentence in Text Edit. Choose Edit: Speech- Start Speaking. This works with with documents, and even e-mails in the Mail Application. Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6
wow, you know, I never tried it until now. For speech recognition it's actually really good. I'm impressed. When it gets to a word it doesn't recognize (eg. if you misspelled it), it will just spell it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.