personal camcorder & a mac

Reaction score
hello.
i'm wondering if anyone can help me. we're expecting our first child, so of course we're looking into getting a camcorder. my question is, what is the best recording format to get? MiniDV, mini DVD, SD card? etc...

it would be nice if i can edit my footage onto a dvd also. i have the idvd icon in my dock but when i click on it, it says:

"Your macintosh does not have a supported SuperDrive. Please note that while you will be able to work with IDVD projects, you will not be able to burn a DVD disc."

So is that IDVD softwared basically worthless to me since I don't have this "SuperDrive"?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. I have a PowerPC G5, if that helps any..... thanks again .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
I think that a MiniDV camcorder would be fine.
I used to have a canon optura 20 and used firewire to transfer to imovie or final cut and it was awesome. You can get an external disc drive but I would research the compatibility with mac first.
Hope this Helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
hello.
i'm wondering if anyone can help me. we're expecting our first child, so of course we're looking into getting a camcorder. my question is, what is the best recording format to get? MiniDV, mini DVD, SD card? etc...

it would be nice if i can edit my footage onto a dvd also. i have the idvd icon in my dock but when i click on it, it says:

"Your macintosh does not have a supported SuperDrive. Please note that while you will be able to work with IDVD projects, you will not be able to burn a DVD disc."

So is that IDVD softwared basically worthless to me since I don't have this "SuperDrive"?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. I have a PowerPC G5, if that helps any..... thanks again .

If you don't have a SuperDrive you must have a ComboDrive - ie, no DVD burner. So yeah, you can't burn DVDs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I've got a Hard Drive camcorder and have had no problem connecting it to my MacBook Pro having the Mac recognize it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I would suggest MiniDV and even further I would suggest HD. You will then be able to save all the tapes as backups. They are pretty cheap. Also you won't have to worry about getting them right on DVDs. You can import them into iMovie, edit them, them publish them right to web where you can share with everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.