• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help need to make a copy of a DVD

Reaction score
Our band was recorded at a festival and the guy provided us with a dvd. Said we could copy it, post it whatever. So, I got it put into iMovie. Now I hear I need to export it to iDVD to burn a copy. But for some reason, I click on the project but the export option is not available. Why is this not intuitive. I've fought with it for hours can someone please help. I really wanted to divide the recording into chapters for each one of the songs we performed. Any help with that is appreciated also. Thanks in advance.

Bud

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Why not just do a straight DVD copy? Burn should do the trick quite easily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
cwa107 has provided a link ib his post to the open source program Burn, just follow his link and download the program, it will be able to duplicate the original DVD

Also if you are having problems with iMovie, try the Share option under the file menu, one export option there is full quality DV, from which you could also burn a dvd, with chapter markers

OP
B
Reaction score
THanks, I downloaded BURN and was able to get a file encoded and burned, but it won't play on my computer or stand alone dvd player?

On the iMovie, I can never get the share option to allow me to share. The list on the dropdown menu is shaded. Help, this seems alot more complicated than it should, or I'm a dunce one, could be the latter. Thanks for the help. I feel like I'm just missing something and the help options don't walk me through it.

Bud

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.