VM Fusion Windows Xp Won't Load

P

Prosdo

Hello all. I have been using Windows XP on a free trial of VM Fusion for about a month now. The serial actually expires in a few hours. I was installing Microsoft Office and looking at templates. Walked away and VM Fusion had froze. Now I shut down the VM and restarted it. Windows XP won't make it past the blue windows xp screen that shows before it loads the desktop. Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Have you tried restarting the Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Prosdo,

When XP blue screens, you have to shut the computer down to get it in a position to start again. But since it was running on Fusion, XP probably won't start again until you get Fusion running again - and you can most likely do that by buying Fusion (if you want to keep using it) and then starting it up again. You may have to also re-import XP back into Fusion as you did initially, but I'd see if XP is still there and will run under Fusion first before re-installing XP... If you have to re-install XP, you'll probably also have to re-activate it with Microsoft...

Good luck, Noel

OP
P

Prosdo

Yep I have tried restarting my Mac several time. I tried booting Windows in safe mode through VM Fusion. Now I just tried to start it again. Got a black screen.
"A disk read error occurred Presss Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart." I do it and it reverts to the same message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I'd put the windows disk in and boot it from that, see if anything can be done or reinstall.

OP
P

Prosdo

I inserted the Windows ME full version and Windows XP update and both say press any key to boot from CD. Then it says Windows is inspecting you hard drive configuration and then screen stay black. It doesn't seem like it is doing anything. I can't get to the recovery console.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Prosdo,

First, since you have trouble starting your computer, insert your OS X install disc and hold down the C key, see if it won't start that way. Or try staring it in Safe Mode...

Then try to get Fusion running. You need that to run Windows... and you won't get your documents first unless you were doing backups... Maybe when you get Fusion running. Unless you can re-start a demo version, you may need to buy it to run it...

Noel

OP
P

Prosdo

I bought VM Fusion last night. The Apple side of the computer is running perfect. I can't get Windows to start in safe mode either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Prosdo,

Do you have Fusion running yet? Is XP available in Fusion or is it gone? You should start OS X and then Fusion, see where you are.

If XP doesn't come up when Fusion is running, you may need to uninstall XP and re-install it. Check this Fusion Knowledge Base search for answers. It may be able to help you as to how to uninstall Windows: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/searchEntry.do BTW, I had entered "How to uninstall XP?" in the search bar and got some tentative answers, but it didn't copy over here...

Hope it works for you, Noel

OP
P

Prosdo

What happens is I turn Fusion on and select Windows XP. It brings up the window. Then it goes to start Windows XP and says Disk Read Error.

OP
P

Prosdo

I found this:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...ES_1_1&dialogID=24992978&stateId=1 0 24994240

Can anyone help? Everytime I add what they say it says it cannot load it and that it is in use.

I thought maybe a photo of the error would help.

Picture1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Prosdo,

That error message tells me it still "sees" Fusion running a previous instance of XP... You probably need to start all over to straighten out the mess that happened when your trial version of Fusion quit working.

You probably need to do some searching on the Fusion Support page and talk with other Fusion users and see what they say. I use Parallels and bought it with my Macbook, so never ran into the problems you're having...

OR you could just uninstall it all - Fusion and XP - and start over to get rid of all the old files that keeps cropping up... If you do that, use AppTrap to get rid of all the old Fusion files that are hanging around. It's free...

Good luck, Noel

OP
P

Prosdo

****, there are some Photoshop files I would really love to get off of there. E-mailed Fusion support and posted in their message boards. Still no word.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Prosdo,

Hang in there, it could be a couple of days - since it's Sunday.

Noel

OP
P

Prosdo

Thanks Noels. No such luck with the Vm community. Hopefully their tech staff will e-mail me in the next few days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.1ghz C2D, 4Gb RAM, 320GB HDD
Not sure if this will help, found it on another forum.

"do you perhaps in folder where your VM is have a .lck file/folders

If so then delete them and you should then be able to open it"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.