Another Ram ?

F

Fomer

I had talked to TPmonkey about this, I just wanted to make double sure cause you guys all say max out the ram and most of you have huge amounts of Ram.

On my PC (I've only had one computer ever my Dell now) And I have 128 Ram. I never knew I needed more Ram. But I reckon that is why when I got three IE windows open my computer about blows up.

The PB I want comes with 256 already more than I am used to. Will this be enough? I am thinking about picking up another 256 stick from somewhere besides apple. That will give me 512, is that enough?

And can I self install the ram,I really don't want to have to drive (6 hours) our closes Apple Store.

OP
J

JazzTrpt

Fomer said:
I had talked to TPmonkey about this, I just wanted to make double sure cause you guys all say max out the ram and most of you have huge amounts of Ram.

On my PC (I've only had one computer ever my Dell now) And I have 128 Ram. I never knew I needed more Ram. But I reckon that is why when I got three IE windows open my computer about blows up.

The PB I want comes with 256 already more than I am used to. Will this be enough? I am thinking about picking up another 256 stick from somewhere besides apple. That will give me 512, is that enough?

And can I self install the ram,I really don't want to have to drive (6 hours) our closes Apple Store.

512 is a good amount of RAM for almost anything. The only reason you would need more is if you do a lot of heavy video or audio editing and graphics design.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
You can get a 512 stick for a decent price these days. Bite the bullet and do that. 256 will definately help, but the extra 256 on top of that will give you the opportunity to grow / use more apps.

OP
H

hokiethang

Emrys said:
You can get a 512 stick for a decent price these days. Bite the bullet and do that. 256 will definately help, but the extra 256 on top of that will give you the opportunity to grow / use more apps.

I would also suggest going ahead and getting the single dimm 512, so that in the future it will cost less to upgrade. Thats what i did and i am planning on upgrading my powerbook to 1gb of ram soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
yes you can install the ram yourself very easily. you just lift up the keyboard by the two tabs above the 1 and the delete keys and flip it up and slide in the rams which you will see right in front of you

OP
J

JazzTrpt

trpnmonkey41 said:
yes you can install the ram yourself very easily. you just lift up the keyboard by the two tabs above the 1 and the delete keys and flip it up and slide in the rams which you will see right in front of you

I believe that only works with the 15" inch pb and the iBooks.

OP
J

JazzTrpt

JazzTrpt said:
I believe that only works with the 15" pb and the iBooks.

I think on the 12" and 17" powerbooks, there is a cover on the back of the laptop.

OP
N

nko

Honestly, my 256 is fine. The "more RAM is better" mantra is a good one, I think, based on my experiences with my PC (went from 128 to 384) and some friends' PC's and Macs, but 256 is fine. I'm getting the impression that, in the Mac world, RAM is just your standard upgrade mechanism. Woth 256, my iMac works great. 512 would probably be better, but not enough for me to get off my duff about it.

OP
J

JazzTrpt

nko said:
Honestly, my 256 is fine. The "more RAM is better" mantra is a good one, I think, based on my experiences with my PC (went from 128 to 384) and some friends' PC's and Macs, but 256 is fine. I'm getting the impression that, in the Mac world, RAM is just your standard upgrade mechanism. Woth 256, my iMac works great. 512 would probably be better, but not enough for me to get off my duff about it.

True, but at the cost of RAM right now and the ease of installation, it really is a deal just to go ahead and max it out. Unless you own a G5 in which case it becomes a bit pricey. ;) ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.