Boot Camp

Reaction score
So, I'm not exactly switching persay, but I figured this would be the best place for this. Feel free to move it if necessary. Anyway, this morning I used Bootcamp to install Windows XP on a 5GB partition, mostly just in case I wanted to use something I couldn't.

So, later today, I decided I wanted to use Counterstrike on the mac, thinking I already have XP on it anyway. After trying to download it, however, there wasn't enough space on the partition to do so. So, I rebooted in OSX, killed the partition (using the Boot Camp Assistant), and restarted the process--this time using a 10GB partition. However, when it restarted, the XP disc ejected and I was told there was no boot disk.

I restarted and pressed option to go back to OSX, so I'm not freaking out, but does anyone have any thoughts on why this wouldn't work after being successful earlier in the day?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Exactly what did the error tell you? Because I think I had a similar issue happen to me a while ago. And all I did was formatted the partition in whatever windows format I wanted at the time and tried the process again with bootcamp. And it worked just fine for me. Skipping the create a partition step cause that was already done of curse. So maybe another go at it might work for you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like you didn't remove the 5 Gb partition properly or something went wrong in the process. I would start over and try again. When you run the Boot Camp assistant from OS X be sure to select -> create partition -> restore. That should get you back to an all OS X hard drive with one partition again. Create a new partition of 10 Gb using the Boot Camp assistant once more. Select the format - FAT-32 or NTFS. Then follow the Boot Camp directions by inserting your Windows CD and reboot. Should work.

By the way, why didn't you download Counterstrike while in OS X? You don't have to be in Windows to download a Windows program. Of course if you're going to run Windows games you'll need a larger than 5 Gb partition anyway.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. For the first question, a gray screen appeared on reboot, then the computer ejected the disc, and then a black screen appeared stating 'Boot Disk could not be found. Put in disk and press any key.'

As for your reply chscag, I restored the partition twice and it did the same thing. The partitions I believe are gone, because you can't find them on the desktop as you normally would, and in Boot Camp Assistant it states that I only have one partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
supermonk56,

You can be sure of what you have by going to Disk Utility and taking a lot at the partition situation. If there is still a Windows partition it will show up there.

Noel

OP
S
Reaction score
Picture-2.jpg

This is the image of my Disk Utility. To my knowledge, all partitions are gone. But, just in case, here it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
supermonk,

Sure looks like no partitions on the internal...

Could be there are some fragmented files in the way to use Boot Camp successfully. You could either defragment your drive to move those files, or back up your hard drive to an external, erase and restore. That will compact the files and allow you to use Boot camp.

Noel

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

I agree with you. You have only one partition and no Windows partition. If there were files or folders remaining in the area where you were trying to create a new Windows partition, it would have given you a specific error.

It appears that there may be something wrong with your Windows disk which is why it ejects instead of re-booting the machine. If the Windows disk is a genuine XP SP2 full install disk (and not a restore disk or OEM branded recovery disk) then there is no reason why it shouldn't work.

It's possible the disk may be scratched or marred in some way or it could even be your drive. If possible, try another disk.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.