• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Other OS's ? Looking for a List

Reaction score
Hey! I'm just looking for a big list of FREE operating systems. Other than windows or OS X. I'm waiting to buy a mac and want to try something else on my second HD till i get one. So do you know of any ? Any oother than linux? Something that works on FAT or NFTS ? Thanks.

Z

zeppster

There is Minix but it is very old and it is basicly just like Linux except way worse. There is also FreeBSD witch is also similar to Linux. Linux is veryy good, you should just try different disrtos like Fedora and SuSE. http://linuxiso.org/

H

hustla

zeppster said:
There is Minix but it is very old and it is basicly just like Linux except way worse. There is also FreeBSD witch is also similar to Linux. Linux is veryy good, you should just try different disrtos like Fedora and SuSE. http://linuxiso.org/

Minix was the 1st one its not worse it was made to show you about the os n stuff... :)

Fedora MDK and knoppix have 64-bit versions

Z

zeppster

hustla said:
Minix was the 1st one its not worse it was made to show you about the os n stuff... :)

Fedora MDK and knoppix have 64-bit versions

Nope, you need to straighten out your facts. Andrew Tanenbaum created Minix in the early nineties when other people were experimenting with OSs. Linus Torvalds ran Minix in college and by accedent erased it. Not haveing the disks for it anymore he was forced to write his own OS... Linux.

Linux is light years ahead of where minix will ever be. Minix isn't even a multitasking kernel. Tanenbaum was overcharging way too much and it was not meant to "show you around the OS"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
You could also check http://distrowatch.com/ as they have pretty much all the Linux distros sorted and will show you how to get each one.

OP
shaun89
Reaction score
Alright. The only reason i'm looking for something other than linux is because i always screw up the installation with partitioning. But I will burn a few more distros from *.iso's and see what i can do. I remember i went to an anti windows site once and it had a list of 100 operating systems other than windows. But that page i think si gone now. Thanks! I will try some of your suggestions. Any more? Is every OS based on UNIX or DOS? Or is their somehting else.

Z

zeppster

shaun89 said:
Alright. The only reason i'm looking for something other than linux is because i always screw up the installation with partitioning. But I will burn a few more distros from *.iso's and see what i can do. I remember i went to an anti windows site once and it had a list of 100 operating systems other than windows. But that page i think si gone now. Thanks! I will try some of your suggestions. Any more? Is every OS based on UNIX or DOS? Or is their somehting else.

Its best to get a mainstream OS that can run real programs. UNIX is universal and you can find tons of open source apps for any UNIX based system.

Linux does seem to be the best for the most amount of people. If your having trouble with installing try Mandrake or Fedora core 1 (2 is STILL really buggy)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.