MacVirgin.. help me pick

Reaction score
I used a mac some 15 years ago in highschool. Back then I remember thinking I'll never get the PC thing... then next thing you know all I'm using are PCs! Fast forward to now.. I'm fed up with all the little annoying issues, and slow downs on a brand new laptop, I'm not very patient (I'm not very computer literate either) and on top of that computers just seem to hate me. I had the ipod touch for a couple weeks which opened up my eyes again to the world of macs. I've talked to a few clients who use macs and the consensus is GO MAC.. you'll never look back. So here I am! :D Sorry for the long intro.

I'm pretty sure I want a MacBook, I just like that comfort of knowing I can move any time to the couch.. not that I do, but for some reason I prefer to know that I can if I want to. My past 2 computers have been laptops and I've been happy with that.

MB vs MBPro?? I think that's what the decision comes down to right now. I don't want to blow a load of cash if I don't have to as this is not a switch I HAVE to make. I think I would be comfortable with a budget of about 1500-2000 approx. I just want something that I will be happy with for a good few years, something fast and reliable that will keep up with my needs without a problem. Speaking of, my needs really aren't that vast... email, surfing, occasional excel and word docs, some personal scale pic management/editing. I would like to learn how to build websites and do some related image editing, but again I don't think that will require massive computing power.

I'm considering either the top black MB or the lower end MBPro, either one refurbished. The Air is certainly cute but I can't justify spending the extra $ on what to me is just novelty (lol the one trip to the couch per year can't justify the added protability). I understand that very likely new models are to come out any time now so I'm ok with waiting and maybe getting one of those or the current version especially if the prices drop on them. Either way I would like to feel a bit more comfortable knowing what I should be buying once I'm ready to pounce! ... so tempted to just go out and buy one now... :Shouting: :Oops:

Thanks for reading my what looks more like a rant then a question :p

Reaction score
I'd say go with the Pro! I have a white MacBook but I do want a Pro pretty badly! It is just so much more appealing to me. I've had my Mac for a little over a year now and it's still going strong, though.

But your clients are right: you'll be satisfied with Mac no matter what you choose to be your first!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
its down to cost and screen size

cost - go macbook

want a bigger screen, go pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive

cost - go macbook

To take this one step further, why pay more money for something you won't use? For the uses you listed, there really is no need for to get the MBP other than the screen size. If that's an issue you could always hook it up to a monitor. If you want maximum portability, the MB is the way to go, IMHO.

I'd check the apple website at least one a day if I were you. Typically in the early morning hours because that's when they are listed and they are first come first serve. I checked it every day for a week until finally I saw a deal I couldn't pass up. I bought my MB for $300 less and it was basically new when I got it. No case defects, came with the latest version of leopard.

I was weary at first but Apple puts all refurbs through stringent tests so they can resell them. I read up on what all that entails on their website.

Obviously some deals are better than others, that's why I suggest checking it everyday. Once something is listed and bought, it's gone.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?node=home/specialdeals/mac

Hope you find what you are looking for.

OP
B
Reaction score

cost - go macbook

That's sort of what I'm thinking plus I can always use another monitor if the smaller size bugs me. I'm just wondering if there are any other not so obvious differences that a less tech savvy person like me would miss? Or is this really just as simple as 13 vs 15?
Thanks!

OP
B
Reaction score
That's sort of what I'm thinking plus I can always use another monitor if the smaller size bugs me. I'm just wondering if there are any other not so obvious differences that a less tech savvy person like me would miss? Or is this really just as simple as 13 vs 15?
Thanks!

Sorry.. to add to that.. if that's the case and I do decide the 13 is fine then how about going with the middle of the pack macbook instead of the top and then upgrading the memory later on if I need to? Does that make sense financially?

OP
B
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
Ouch if you're canadian I would suggest buying used off of ebay. The price differences do not accurately reflect the dollar. And then you have to pay very high taxes too. And buying used is good for the environment too! Reduse REUSE recycle. : )

Reaction score
Macbook pros are made for graphic designing and photo editing.
macbooks are made for word documents and surfing the net.

Depends on your needs, if your going to get into web design/ photo editing go with a pro or you will regret it with a macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Macbook Pro for high end video editing, heavy graphics work etc...

Macbook for everyday use, surfing the net, Word processing, light photo editing etc…

The macbook pro is a lot more powerful than the macbook, it has better graphics card, CPU, larger screen, bigger HD and 2gb ram as standard. Plus it has the nifty extras such as the light up keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.4ghz, 4Gb Ram, 250gb hdd
I just got a macbook, it does everything i need it to, perfectly.
I upgraded to 4gb ram and for using office, surfing the web, using emails and storing, editing and viewing photos it works fast. Nice size machine aswell, the display is so nice it looks bigger than you may think it will.
MBP on the other hand is a much better machine, but not worth the extra money unless you are a serious movie editor.
Go With The MAcbook (AND QUICKLY BEFORE THEY ALL GO SILVER)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I just got a macbook, it does everything i need it to, perfectly.
I upgraded to 4gb ram and for using office, surfing the web, using emails and storing, editing and viewing photos it works fast. Nice size machine aswell, the display is so nice it looks bigger than you may think it will.
MBP on the other hand is a much better machine, but not worth the extra money unless you are a serious movie editor.
Go With The MAcbook (AND QUICKLY BEFORE THEY ALL GO SILVER)

Only problem is the screen is glossy, which doesn't really give you accurate color for print design.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.4ghz, 4Gb Ram, 250gb hdd
True, but glossy makes everything look nicer aswell so it has pros and cons.

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
Unless you want to play the latest games, just go with the macbook it's affordable(For what you get 2.4Ghz dualcore) and runs really well
And the smaller screen(13") is very convincing(Because it makes the laptop smaller and more portable!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Sorry.. to add to that.. if that's the case and I do decide the 13 is fine then how about going with the middle of the pack macbook instead of the top and then upgrading the memory later on if I need to? Does that make sense financially?

Yes, that makes very good sense financially. For what you need it for, you will not be able to tell the difference. On the apple website, they only have a 2.1 GHz white, and 2.4 GHz black AND white. I'm assuming you meant middle of the pack money wise?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Why not go for a Mac Mini?

You can use your existing PC monitor and probably keyboard/Mouse. For $700 you can get a chance to try a Mac and not blow a huge wad. If you like it you can go with something better in a year or two.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ouch if you're canadian I would suggest buying used off of ebay. The price differences do not accurately reflect the dollar. And then you have to pay very high taxes too. And buying used is good for the environment too! Reduse REUSE recycle. : )

If I knew some one personally who was selling one, absolutely! However being a non computer person I don't feel comfortable buyin something second hand I know next to nothing about, plus apples see to hold their value pretty well so there really isn't a huge saving going with used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MB 2.4 c2d 4g ram
I have always thought the MBP was more of a desktop replacement laptop. If you want actual portability, go with the mb

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.