• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Brightening an Mpeg(Mp4) movie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 2.1Ghz 512 MB ram
I have what I'm hoping is a relatively simple request. I have an mpeg movie in mp4 format. This movie is extremely dark and I want to brighten it significantly and then resave it. This movie is going to be burned to disc and played in a DVD player so simply adjusting the brightness on my mac won't do it for me. Ideally I am looking for a free option, but I am willing to pay for additional software if I have to. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much,
Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
If you have a version of iMovie, you could apply a brightness effect to the movie. You can also do this when using the advanced export options.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 2.1Ghz 512 MB ram
I first downloaded mpeg StreamClip and I could not find anything within the program that allowed my to "lighten" the video. I also tried the iMovie route. I have the newest version of iMovie, but to be honest have not really used it too much. I will tell you what I did, and maybe you can help me to get further. I opened up iMovie and then chose Import Movie. I chose my mp4 movie. Now I don't know what to do. The export options are all grayed out. I somehow have to end up with a movie of the same format, but much brighter. On a side note, this mp4 movie was converted from a .mov originally. Is the Mpeg 4 format the best quality format to convert to, or is there another format that my dvd player will recognize that is better quality. Thanks,
Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Vertically in the middle of iMovie 08 is a bar with buttons. See the picture below. You can use one of the buttons or just hit the V key to bring up the Video Adjustments window where you can change the brightness. Select the whole video in a project and then do that to adjust to your taste.

If your DVD player plays Mpeg4 files that is great. You could also use iDVD to make a DVD that will play in most modern DVD players. My older player can't read either.

iMovieScreenSnapz001.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm no StreamClip expert, but when I choose "Export to MPEG-4...", I see that there is a "Adjustments..." button near the bottom right of the window that comes up. In there is a brightness adjustment.

Note you probably want to change the "Compression" to "Apple MPEG4 Compressor" in the first window that appears.

Finally, realize that playing with just the brightness isn't often the best choice. You may play with the other options too, and I've found on stills that playing with the contrast helps balance things out a little better. Notice that iMovie gives you more options. You may also have to play with it to get it just right for your taste.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac Pro 2 X 2.66 Dual-Core
thanks xstep, you picked up where I left off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.