Wireless Question

G

GenuineDraft8

Hi, I have no idea what I'm doing. We have a DSL, connected to a linksys wireless router. The DSL is shared to a desktop pc, hardwired. There's also a wireless connection to a laptop pc. Now I'm trying to figure out how to connect my Mac desktop. Is my only choice the Airport? I couldn't find any information on this on the linksys website, and it seems as if their products are not compatible with Macs. Uh... someone break this down for me a lil. Please?
Blake

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
you can use an airport card on the mac....no need for an airport base station. i use my powerbook with my linksys router no problem. you cant use WEP but other then that everything is functional

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
trpnmonkey41 said:
you can use an airport card on the mac....no need for an airport base station. i use my powerbook with my linksys router no problem.

You sure can. When I bought my iBook and Airport card, I was nervous that I'd have trouble setting it up to work with my Linksys router. I was amazed and impressed when turned on the iBook and the "Airport setup helper" (I forgot what it was actually called) popped-up and asked me if I wanted to join the Linksys network it detected. I clicked yes, and a few seconds later I was good to go. It was even easier than when I setup my actual Linksys wireless card on my PC laptop. Just one of the many reasons I love my Mac.

OP
G

GenuineDraft8

Padawan said:
You sure can. When I bought my iBook and Airport card, I was nervous that I'd have trouble setting it up to work with my Linksys router. I was amazed and impressed when turned on the iBook and the "Airport setup helper" (I forgot what it was actually called) popped-up and asked me if I wanted to join the Linksys network it detected. I clicked yes, and a few seconds later I was good to go. It was even easier than when I setup my actual Linksys wireless card on my PC laptop. Just one of the many reasons I love my Mac.

thanks ppl, so i guess the airport card is my only option? It's kinda pricey, at almost a bill...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
GenuineDraft8 said:
thanks ppl, so i guess the airport card is my only option? It's kinda pricey, at almost a bill...

Airport is, as far as I know, your only wireless option. As for the price of the card, you can find the Airport card on Ebay with the "Buy It Now" price of $65.00, and some auctions might even end slightly lower than that too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.