Network issues

Reaction score
Hello everybody

I am running Leopard 10.5.4 on intel iMac and my wife Vista Ultimate on a PC.

I have been googlig for the last few hours and cannot seem to find a satisfactory platform relevant solution to my problem....

My Pc (Windows server on the PC) appears in my server tab on the right of the finder window on mac but I cannot connect succesfully... I can connect however using Cmd + K and the smb address....

On Vista I can see my mac share - however when I try to access my Public Share folder from Vista I get the (good ole windows) message: not accessible. you might mac forum have permission to use this resource leopard vista

I have double checked my share permission on both machines and there seems to be no problem..

Has anyone else had this same hassle and can offer a speedy solution? - (Other than ditch Vista and buy another mac.... I wish!!!)

Thanks in advance

Sylvester D!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm assuming you're not using guest accounts? If that's the case, try deleting the login information in keychain access, then logging in again.. or select 'log in as' and see if that works.

Do you have the firewall activated on the mac?

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Mike... Sorry, Not sure I follow,,,,

I had both the iMac and Vista set up using the same u/name and password
I then chaged the names and fiddled around with different options on both machines....

On mac I could o this in Users (on Leo) simply by adding or deleting users with 'Sharing Only' Credentials.... Still no joy

On Vista I can actually see my Drop Box but every tome I am being denied access despite the fact that I have used the Vista u/name and pass exactly as entered....

I have even added the -pc extention ie Jack-PC to see if that'd make a blind bit of difference but nothing doing.... Incidentally I have had to reinstall Vista around 6 times this week and in no case has it allowed me to access the mac.

On occasion I can access the user accounts on Vista via Cmd + K and smb explicit...... but cannot bring about the reciprocal.

The server shows up in finder under shared but clicking that alias always returs 'Connection Failed'

- I'm at my wits end on this - particularly since when I first had Vista with the oem Version of Personal installed one of the few things that actually did work perfectly was the networking end of things....

I am so glad that I switched to Mac myself but getting this Vista machine set up for my wife is nothing short of a recurring nightmare, too lengthy a story to get into here....The network is vital for our business plans.... Hope you can shed more light on the problem.

To answer your question - The Firewall is on by default in Leo (as far as I can see) but is set to accept all incoming connections. As for Keychain - I am not sure as to what entries you are referring to (or where to look)

Thanks again and hope you can help some more....in getting the blighter righted....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I would try disabling firewalls on both machines and see if that was the problem.

OP
S
Reaction score
Gentlemen - Thank you all for your efforts in trying to get this one resolved but following more than a week of anguish and 6 installs of Vista before I could get it working in anything like a stable fashion last night I bit the bullet and shelled out $55 for a working solution to the problem. In light of the fact that the networks is vital for my business plans over the coming months the money is totally well spent.... If anything Micro$oft shoul be reimbursing me for the expense.

Once again Vista has proved to be garbage - I cannot find even one redeeming factor in its favour... I can say this as I had both Tiger and Leo running with an XP connection for most of the last year and the network was always as you would expect it to be... If you set a folder as a share in Leop it would always show up on the XP machine.

For the record I was able to see Vista clearly from Leo but always the entire user folder and not one you set up as a specific share... From Vista (if I was lucky) I could see the drop box from time to time.... only once did i get access to it and after rebooting it disappeared again.... For some overly intelligent reason Microsoft has decided to remove the simple TCP/IP protocol.... Bl**dy Marvellous that! The v4 and V6 protocols cause more confusion than it is worth and seemingly still have a long way to go before they can easily talk to other machines on different platforms...

Network Magic works like a charm and this way I can disable all shares except those I specifically set up for the very purpose of sharing.... THough I have still to test it both printers would have appear to have been effortlessly configured. Looks like a wonderful piece of software to consider if you have any kind of network issues with your Leo/Vista set up.

You will need to but the Windows installed ($29) and the Mac add-on ($25) for the machines to talk to one another.... might be a whole lot better than a week or more of pure stress and getting absolutely nowhere no matter what you try.....

for details: http://www.networkmagic.com/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.