Is there a way to enable a "back" button ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
It probably depends on the mouse you have, and any software that will let you modify the various buttons.

On the other hand, if you press Command and then the left or right arrow keys, you can move forward/back with your browser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
OP
D
Reaction score
It probably depends on the mouse you have, and any software that will let you modify the various buttons.

On the other hand, if you press Command and then the left or right arrow keys, you can move forward/back with your browser.

I have the mighty mouse.

Reaction score
Cmd+[ is default for back. I'm sure there is a way to set the right click as back and I will look for it until someone with more knowledge comes along.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Cmd+[ is default for back. I'm sure there is a way to set the right click as back and I will look for it until someone with more knowledge comes along.

Seems I should have explained more fully - using Firefox (v 2.0.0.12) and Panther, if you Right-click with your mouse in the browser window, a drop down menu will display. At the very top of that menu is Back, which you can then choose with Left-click. It will take the browser back one page. It is likely to be the same with Tiger and Leopard.

It appears that Safari (v 1.3.2) does not have that facility. Later versions of Safari may have the R-click > Back function.

Reaction score
Right. I'm using Safari (3.1.2) and Leopard. The drop down menu appears as well. So the solutions you posted would work in newer versions. I don't think any of the solutions we posted are really what he is looking for. I have the mighty mouse as well and I think he wants something like setting right click as back. At least that is the way I would try it. I would think something like quicksilver would be able to do it, but am not finding it. That could be because I've only been running quicksilver for about 2 days.

Reaction score
He might could use an aftermarket app like Steermouse or USBOverdrive to remap the right button to command-[.
Even better, get a multibutton mouse and one of those apps and use one of the side buttons.

OP
D
Reaction score
Ithought about that, but I like the mighty mouse. This is the whole Apple experience, so I will adopt hughvane method.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.