Difference between Bootcamp and Programs like VMF and Parallels

Reaction score
What is the difference between Bootcamp and programs like VMF and Parallels. I'd like to play the occasional game and I have this program I got as a gift that I'd like to try out. It's a video editing software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
VMware Fusion and Parallels are virtual machine programs. They create a virtual PC via software. This of course means that they can not have 100% of the system resources available to them, which will diminish performance. Bootcamp is simply a dual boot methodology so if you install windows with bootcamp you do have to reboot to use windows (you don't with a virtual machine) but it will have 100% of the available system resources available to it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What is the difference between Bootcamp and programs like VMF and Parallels. I'd like to play the occasional game and I have this program I got as a gift that I'd like to try out. It's a video editing software.

Boot Camp is a utility provided with Leopard to create a partition on your hard drive (non-destructively) in order to install Windows XP SP2 or Vista. Windows is then installed using your Windows CD or DVD. Leopard disk one is then used to install necessary Windows drivers for the Mac hardware. If everything goes right, you'll wind up with a dual boot system; OS X and Windows. The advantage is that Windows will run natively which is great for games. The downside is having to re-boot each time you wish to swap the operating system.

VMWare Fusion and Parallels are programs which create a virtual machine for Windows and many other operating systems. You still need to have a copy of Windows and it must be installed to the VM. The virtual machine operating system is actually one large file executed by the program and runs within OS X but yet separate from it. Advantage is not having to re-boot and very easy to transfer files between OS X and Windows. Downside is it's slower than running Windows from the Boot Camp partition and as of now, neither program adequately supports 3D games.

VMWare Fusion has just recently released its version 2 beta. Many enhancements but some folks have said it's real slow. Your mileage may vary. :D

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.