busted screen pixels

Reaction score
it appears that i have a few busted pixels on my MBP screen.

i noticed one upon receiving my new machine, but when i called apple they told me my warranty wouldn't cover such a small speck on my screen and that it would also be subject to verification if i sent it back.

sounded like bs to me.

now i just noticed that there is another small dot on my lower left hand screen.

is there a way to fix this? can i prevent any more of these from appearing? and why wouldn't my apple care cover this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
This is one of the few instances where I would recommend taking the machine to an Apple Store over using the phone service. If you show them the dead pixels, they're often pretty good about that sort of thing. Just be warned that they may see fit to just replace the whole thing on the spot instead of bother with getting a replacement display, so you may want to back up your data. That said, you'd have a much better shot at this if you had done this when you first noticed the problem... Apple (Store) is fine being trigger-happy with replacing DOAs.

Reaction score
Are you sure the pixels aren't just "stuck" instead of "dead"? For stuck pixels, running the applet JScreenFix might unstick them.

Go here: http://www.jscreenfix.com/#JScreenFix

Just launch the applet and place the randomly-changing box over the stuck pixels for several minutes. There are other tips and tricks on this web site that might help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.