Shared computers

Reaction score
Hello,
It shows I have 2 shared computers on my computer. I do not know who these computers are or where they came from. Could someone please tell me how to remove them?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello,
It shows I have 2 shared computers on my computer. I do not know who these computers are or where they came from. Could someone please tell me how to remove them?

Are you on a network that is shared with other people?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
Hello,

Are you on a wireless network? Is it secure? Or are you piggybacking on someone else's wireless network purposefully/accidentally?

It could be that someone is on your wireless internet without your knowledge if it isn't locked down and secured. I would check that first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
I randomly get people on my network that I have no clue who they are. Some I have been able to access and some I haven't :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I randomly get people on my network that I have no clue who they are. Some I have been able to access and some I haven't :)

Sounds like it might not be a bad idea to secure your network. Clearly it is both easy to find and connect to - which might not be a good idea if you value your data (and possibly your freedom - since anyone could jump on and do whatever illicit thing they chose, all of which would be traceable back to you).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive

I'd lock down the wireless network if I were you but I'm just very paranoid about that sorta thing. Identity theft is running rampant these days :(

Reaction score
I'd lock down the wireless network if I were you but I'm just very paranoid about that sorta thing
Leaving the wireless network open is just like leaving your flat with open windows and doors and with a big red sign on the street saying "Come to steal something".

tkdbad, havnet said whether or not his wifi network was open or not. If this is the cae, you should protect it with WPA or WPA2 ( WEP is not a protection) as soon as possible

cheers,
Tex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro/ 2.4Ghz /2 GB and iPod Nano 1stG
quick question regarding this same issue, if its not a wireless network where do i got to secure it?

Im in a college dorm so when I plugged the ethernet cord to the computer and i imagine im part of the network where about 10 shared computers appeared, including some itunes.

how do I lock this so they cant see mine?

thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
quick question regarding this same issue, if its not a wireless network where do i got to secure it?

Im in a college dorm so when I plugged the ethernet cord to the computer and i imagine im part of the network where about 10 shared computers appeared, including some itunes.

how do I lock this so they cant see mine?

thanks.

Well, first of all, make sure sharing is turned off in iTunes (iTunes menu => Preferences => Sharing tab => Uncheck "Share my library on my local network). Also, I would ensure that your firewall is turned on (System Preferences => Security => Firewall tab => 'Allow only essential services'). In the same spot, if you click the Advanced button, it would also be a good idea to enable 'Stealth' mode.

That should lock you down pretty tightly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro/ 2.4Ghz /2 GB and iPod Nano 1stG
Well, first of all, make sure sharing is turned off in iTunes (iTunes menu => Preferences => Sharing tab => Uncheck "Share my library on my local network). Also, I would ensure that your firewall is turned on (System Preferences => Security => Firewall tab => 'Allow only essential services'). In the same spot, if you click the Advanced button, it would also be a good idea to enable 'Stealth' mode.

That should lock you down pretty tightly.

thank you so much. makes me feel way better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If you are on your home network and this is happening, you are a prime target for the RIAA and the FBI. Lock it down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.