About TIME.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Well, finally got the iBook. It's only 512 as it turns out so I'll be upgrading the RAM to 1.25 GB as soon as I can get my grubby hands on some more RAM. I've already managed to come up with a fairly annoying question, though. Anyone here happen to know what the Airport card's looking for when it asks me for a network password on a Linksys router? I've gone to the Linksys preferences and found a key and a password, neither of which work, so it's obviously asking for something I haven't thought about. Linksys gives specific instructions on how to connect the airport card to the network, but it still requires that password I don't have and even Linksys doesn't know what it wants when I call and ask them. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated, as it is rather limiting to have this sitting on my bedroom floor, connected via catv when I could be on the couch relaxing. Thanks a lot, and Merry Christmas!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
that most likely means someonne, maybe a neighbor, is using wireless internet and/or linksys router and airport card is picking it up. but they have enabled WEP so others cant hijack/use their connection, well, others can, but they have to have the password. thats it.
have you setp your wireless internet yet?

OP
Meyvn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
that most likely means someonne, maybe a neighbor, is using wireless internet and/or linksys router and airport card is picking it up. but they have enabled WEP so others cant hijack/use their connection, well, others can, but they have to have the password. thats it.
have you setp your wireless internet yet?
Well, see, I'd say that might be possible, but the thing is, it reads the network as the exact name I've set it as. It reads the existence of MY network just fine. I even capitalized the L in Linksys as the network title (default is lowercase), and the iBook reads that one. It doesn't read any others. I highly doubt that the network it's reading is my neighbor's and not mine. The thing is, it's apparently SUPPOSED to have a password. I entered both the 'key1' and the 'password.' And I've setup my wireless internet on all the other computers in my house that are running, just not the iBook. They all have the default 'official' Linksys cards, so it's not really an issue with them. My WEP is enabled, it just is saying that I'm getting the password wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
do you remember setting up wep on your ibook? if not, try a password that works on your other computers connected to the same router. the router might be looking for one of those passwords. have you setup the airport card correctly on your ibook?

OP
Meyvn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The thing is, the other computers never required passwords. It probably has to do with the fact that they were Linksys and an Airport card isn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that shouldnt make a difference, what kind of wireless router do you have? how did you setup the wireless router on the ibook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
If you have WEP active, you'll need the encryption key generated by your password. Then just enter that when it asks you for your password. You may have to insert a $ at the beginning of the key. My iBook is connected to a Linksys router with WEP, and that's what I needed to do to get everything set up. If you turn WEP off, your iBook should just detect it and connect automatically.

OP
Meyvn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's an old Linksys 802.11b router. And I didn't set it up on the iBook. The iBook auto-detected the router, but it can't connect to it wirelessly because it needs a password to do so. The strange thing is, plugging directly into it works perfectly, so the block is ONLY on the wireless signal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Meyvn said:
It's an old Linksys 802.11b router. And I didn't set it up on the iBook. The iBook auto-detected the router, but it can't connect to it wirelessly because it needs a password to do so. The strange thing is, plugging directly into it works perfectly, so the block is ONLY on the wireless signal.

Mine is 802.11b, too. You mentioned that you have WEP enabled, so there must be some sort of password for that. As I said, you'll need the encryption key generated by that password in order to connect wirelessly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Meyvn said:
you have to input the ip address that came with the wireless router into the url bar in safari, thatll take you to the setup for your router. if you havent done this, you need to, setup options, etc. and that should do it.

OP
Meyvn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, I've done all that. And to Padawan, I have the encryption key, have entered it, and it does nothing for me. Still says incorrect password.

OP
Meyvn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fixed the problem. I just gave up on trying to find the password and disabled the WEP altogether. Thanks a lot for your time, guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Meyvn said:
Oh, I've done all that. And to Padawan, I have the encryption key, have entered it, and it does nothing for me. Still says incorrect password.

Did you try placing a $ at the beginning of the key?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.