Alternative to the aluminium keyboard?

Reaction score
I dont like it

I'v tried to, I really have - been using it 10 months.

I am an accurate typist on a more traditional keyboard but this phazes me every time.

You can't seem to buy the more traditional keyboard anywhere - I used one today attached to an old G4 and it was so nice

There are plenty of keyboards on the market that work with macs BUT they are generally with windows layout!

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
How exactly does the Apple keyboard "phaze" you? I've had no problems going from my Wireless Apple keyboard, to a full Windows keyboard, to a laptop keyboard, or even to a roll-able silicone keyboard.

OP
M
Reaction score
How exactly does the Apple keyboard "phaze" you? I've had no problems going from my Wireless Apple keyboard, to a full Windows keyboard, to a laptop keyboard, or even to a roll-able silicone keyboard.

I have two inch long nails!

The flatness of the new keyboard kind of makes it very difficult

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have two inch long nails!

The flatness of the new keyboard kind of makes it very difficult

Sounds like a PICNIC error to me :D

Seriously though, you don't have to use an Apple-specific keyboard, just about any Windows keyboard will work. Alternatively, you may want to take a look at Logitech's Mac keyboards (link)

OP
M
Reaction score

Seriously though, you don't have to use an Apple-specific keyboard, just about any Windows keyboard will work. Alternatively, you may want to take a look at Logitech's Mac keyboards (link)

PICNIC error?

That is my point - I hate using a windows layout with a MAC!

i'll look at that logitech link

I guess I just want the old fashioned keyboard

The other problem is that this is too flat to the table - at the moment I am using it but I have propped the rear up so its at a 20-30 degree angle

OP
M
Reaction score

Checked the link - they are STILL windows keyboards that work with a mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Give the Matias Tactile Pro a whirl... it uses the old-style mechanical keyswitches that some people still prefer. If that's not your taste, then check out their other keyboards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PICNIC error?

Well, due to your nails...

Problem In Chair Not In Computer :D

That is my point - I hate using a windows layout with a MAC!

i'll look at that logitech link

I guess I just want the old fashioned keyboard

The other problem is that this is too flat to the table - at the moment I am using it but I have propped the rear up so its at a 20-30 degree angle

Oh, I totally understand. Unfortunately all remaining stocks of the older style are commanding premium prices as a result. You might be able to find one out on Amazon or eBay.

Reaction score
Logitech is coming out with a mac version of it's diNovo edge. Somewhat pricey at 160 but has the mac layout.

OP
M
Reaction score
Give the Matias Tactile Pro a whirl... it uses the old-style mechanical keyswitches that some people still prefer. If that's not your taste, then check out their other keyboards.

Bloody difficult to get in the UK - the one place that supplies it will only ship to your home adress - which I am never at!

:-(

I have been trying for months

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, due to your nails...

Problem In Chair Not In Computer :D

Love it!

I am now a project manager but I used to do system support and consultancy.

I used to phrase it in call logs as "this appears to be an error in the interface between the chair and the keyboard"

PICNIC is so much more precise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Bloody difficult to get in the UK - the one place that supplies it will only ship to your home adress - which I am never at!

:-(

I have been trying for months

Um... ship it to a friend's address then?

OP
M
Reaction score
Logitech is coming out with a mac version of it's diNovo edge. Somewhat pricey at 160 but has the mac layout.

ok - I wait with bated breath

I did buy the windows version about six months ago - then gave it to a windows user!

If it had a proper MAC version......

i also refuse to load any form of windows on my MAC - I loath the company.

I have office mac but only for professional reasons (and the fact that mac mail drives me demented - it always has random unread markers I cant ger rid of despite using .mac email!)

OP
M
Reaction score
Additional Q?

Are there any third party number pads? preferably bluetooth.
I dont use it often enough to be a show stopper but when I do my companies accounts, it would be nice to have one!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Love it!

I am now a project manager but I used to do system support and consultancy.

I used to phrase it in call logs as "this appears to be an error in the interface between the chair and the keyboard"

PICNIC is so much more precise

Another one of my favorites is "I believe the problem may be related to a loose nutbehind the keyboard" :D

Sorry to get off-topic, but I do hope you find something suitable.

Reaction score
Another one of my favorites is "I believe the problem may be related to a loose nutbehind the keyboard" :D

Sorry to get off-topic, but I do hope you find something suitable.

I've always used the term - POBKAC (Problem occurs between keyboard and chair).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
heh at least you don't suffer from "aluminum wired keyboard doesn't get alog well with Intel Mac Mini" issues like I do........then again I wait for baited breath that Apple will release a firmware update for my Mini or board to get rid if the issues....I mainly use a Logitech USB wired keyboard on my Mini....works well....and with some simple tweaking, I was able to remap buttons to match the Mac counterparts....

Reaction score
I'm not on my mac right now but I have a mini and the aluminum usb keyboard and mine works fine. I know I have something on mine that says aluminum keyboard firmware update. Stored in utilities? I think. You might want to check that out and I'll double check when I get back home.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.