Macbook needs password to complete task....

Reaction score
I think that I have set up something strange on my Macbook. I've had it a few weeks now and I notice that if I'm trying to create folders and move items that are sent to me in email, I'm constantly being asked to type in my password.

No luck getting rid of this so far, but it's a big hassle. Can anyone tell me how to rid myself of this?

Hopefully I've given you enough info to understand the issue...

Kind Regards, Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Is this something that happens only when you are working with your mail, or in Finder and other places in general? OS X will prompt your for your administrator password when you are doing things that are outside of your normal user directory (depending).

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes, in Finder and other places in general, not just Mail. My Mac buddy here tells me I must have not made myself the Administrator, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

So, you're saying that certain tasks may trigger a password request and that is normal?

Regards, Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Yes. I'm still new to OS X myself, but if a task you are trying to complete requires elevated privileges then it will prompt you for your password.

OP
K
Reaction score
But, can't I set myself up as the Supreme Being of my MB and be rid of all that?:D

Many thanks! Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Do your work inside your Home directory and you shouldn't be troubled by those things. There is a way to enable the root user so you never have to use your administrator password for anything, but I wouldn't recommend it to a new Mac user.

OP
K
Reaction score
I think I'm missing a fundamental element here.... can you explain "home directory" for me?

Many thanks, Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Your personal directory is a place where you can save/edit/keep files and not have to worry about being asked for your password since by default it's your personal repository. It'll be located off of your hard drive in Users/YourName, or it can be referred to as ~YourName. It'll be listed on the left navigation bar in Finder as well. Inside that is a Documents, Downloads, etc set of folders.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.