Please Help...Boot Camp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, 2.4 GHz, 4GB memory, 250 GB hard drive
I'm freaking out. So I got a SP2 disk of Windows XP, and decided to download it to Boot Camp. I made the partition 32 GB, and after I inserted the disk and started installation it gave me a blank screen with just an underscore appearing and reappearing. So I was scared, and turned it off. I boot it up again and it comes to a blank screen saying no bootable device insert boot disk...what does this mean? Help? please?

Reaction score
In this case, just leave the windows disc in and see if you can boot to it. If so, then install windows this way. After the installation is complete, download bootxp and use it to set your OS boot preference.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't, it ejects the disc whenever I start up my mac...and then all I get is the "no bootable device, insert boot disk thing" I am a complete wreck right now...

Reaction score
If you hold down the option key on restart, are you shown the boot options? There should be an OS X option available there. Or just boot while holding down X, which should force it to boot to OS X (assuming it can).

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That worked...I really appreciated it. One other question. Because I was stupid and put in the SP2 Pack Disk in the beginning when asked to put a disk in for Boot Camp. Obviously it didn't read it, but is there a way to go back to where I started? The reason I put in the disk in the first place is b/c it told me to put in a Vista disk or SP2 disk in the slot. Now I know I have to put in a regular Windows XP Pro disk, and then once installed, install SP2 in windows. I bought it off of ebay, so he gave me a reg disk and a SP2 upgrade disk, and he made it seem like that was all i needed...stupid me.

Reaction score
I can't help you on that one; actually, I've never used boot camp. I run windows with parallels when I need it. But... I'm sure someone here has the answer.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. Thanks for you help though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Try deleting the partition and starting again.
Run Disk utility also to verify partitions etc

Also when installing Xp reformat the partition to NTFS in the XP installation option as it would have been FAT32.

You should be able to Boot into any OS (XP/ Linux etc) via rebooting and holding down the option key.
I try LinuX live CD's this way.

So in theory even without a partition you should be able to reboot into the XP installation.....JUST DON"T INSTALL IT BECAUSE IT WILL WIPE OUT YOUR MAIN DRIVE....it's only for testing purposes.

You still need to use Boot camp to create the partion for you.

Reaction score
Sorry to tell you this but Boot Camp will not work with pre SP2 discs (It does clearly state this too). This is why you are having problems as you cannot install a previous version and then upgrade to SP2, you must have a full SP2 disc for it to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
If you only have xp Service pack 1 & have a cd with service pack 2 then you can slipstream them to create a xp SP2 disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.