• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Watching Movies from MBP on my TV

Reaction score
I am not sure if this should go in the movies section or the MBP section. Feel free to reorganize if needed. Sorry.

I have a MBP and a 50inch Samsung DLP TV. I have some movies saved on my hard drive of my MBP and would like to be able to watch them on my new TV. Can someone guide me to what cables I need to buy.

I know I will need a video cable and an audio cable. I assume I need a DVI to HDMI cord. Now- will that give me audio and video or just the video? Is DVI correct or is it VGA to HDMI?

Then what about audio? If HDMI does not get the audio, what other cable do I need for that.
thanks guys
j

OP
J
Reaction score
found this elsewhere on the forum and just in case someone stumbles upon my posting and needs the same help i will paste it below for you:

An HDMI cable can carry BOTH video and audio signals, which is why a DVD player can be hooked up with just one HDMI cable.
On the other hand, DVI is video only. Your Macbook has a mini-DVI output, which is used for external displays, but this port does NOT carry audio. For that reason, you will always need two cables coming from your Macbook; one for video, and one for audio.
For audio, you should use your "headphone" jack. Get a cable which has one end as a headphone plug, and the other end is two RCA plugs (that is the red and white ones). You should be all set
Andre is offline Add to Andre's Reputation Report Post Reply With Quote

OP
J
Reaction score
appears i need help afterall. just got back from wal-mart. the video is fine. it is up and running (a bit jumpy but i have not messed with resolution yet). the problem is i have no audio. i have the 3.5 to rca plugged in the headphone jack, but i can't choose the source hdmi 1 for the video and then choose av2 for the audio... how do i have two sources at once. i assume my tv thinks if i am using hdmi then i have audio and video so there is no need to source the other channel... but of course we know this is not right. help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.