Getting Downloads back on the Dock after accidentally trashing it?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have had my macbook for two months and spent many an hour playing with it after years of tinkering with Windows. I have many questions and am still searching the forums for most of them, but...

Yesterday I accidentally moved ( dragged) my downloads icon to the Trash and when I tried to UNDO, it was greyed out and I could not do it.

I have seen a similar post and have followed its advice: I opened Finder and gragged the folder ( not on the left bar but the actual folder) to its original place. It spent a while " Copying downloads to desktop" and now the folder is on it, in a size 3-4 bigger than originally and I can move it freely around the desktop, so I assume it is not back on the dock.

Can anyone please help me with this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
You should be able to just go into Finder, select the folder, and then drag it to the Dock. What it sounds like you did was actually copy it to the Desktop, which is just another copy of the folder now. If you select it and pull it to the Dock you should see the other icons 'get out of the way' so to speak when you have the mouse in the right place.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks, it seems that I did copy it to the desktop. Problem is I am trying what you suggested, select it with the tracpad, click and drag it down. Once I get to the dock, the different applications in it are higlighted when I go near them, or a green cross appears ( which should mean adding to that application which is not what I want), so this way does not seem to work on my macbook.

Back to square one.

Many thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Well you can't put it on the left with your icons. It has to be to the right side of the screen where the trash can and such are. There should be a little divider on the dock that shows apps on the left, and folders + trash on the right. Just make sure you don't accidentally put it in the trash.

OP
S
Reaction score
It worked!!!!

many thanks and sorry for asking such a simple question

Reaction score
download icon accidentally put it in trash

Hello, I am a new user of the Macbook Pro (OS X Mountain Lion). For many years I owned a PC, and this year I decided to change to a MAC. I was very frustrated within the first two weeks of owning a MAC. I too put my download icon in the trash by accident. I googled how to get my icon back, and your forum came up.
Boy, am i ever happy I could get my download icon back on my dock, just by reading misfortunes of others.
I read it, tried it and it worked!!
Thank you very much!! Now I know where to go when I need some assistance. I'm sure there will be more mistakes.
The MAC computer is relatively easy to operate, I just have to get my head out of a PC way of thinking....hard to do right now.
I keep plugging away.
Anyways, thanks for helping MAC Forum.

Reaction score
same problem but want to make it a fan folder and cant'

I did the same thing with my download folder and got it back onto the dock, but now it doesn't open like a fan, just a plain sort of window, with no ability to affect how the files are displayed. I want it to be a fan folder again. How do I do that? thank you!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I did the same thing with my download folder and got it back onto the dock, but now it doesn't open like a fan, just a plain sort of window, with no ability to affect how the files are displayed. I want it to be a fan folder again. How do I do that? thank you!

Remember. This thread was started 9 years ago (2008). The version of the macOS you have installed...and the version of the macOS discussed in this thread could be very different...and the way those macOS versions do things could be very different. MUCH better to start a new thread if there is a question/issue.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.