Where are iPhoto files stored?

Reaction score
I'm slowly tranferring my pictures from my PC to Mac. If I import photos into iPhoto, I cannot figure out where they are saved. For instance, if I drag the file over from my PC, I can see it under Finder. But if I import that file into iPhoto and then delete the file I dragged over, I can only see those photos by opening iPhoto. That makes me a bit nervous given that I may want to use some program other than iPhoto in the future, and would want to find those files.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
They're in your Your home folder => Pictures => iPhoto Library.

OP
S
Reaction score
I think that is what I clicked, but it just opens up iPhoto. I'll have to look when I get home. I'm chained to the work PC now.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think that is what I clicked, but it just opens up iPhoto. I'll have to look when I get home. I'm chained to the work PC now.

Also, when you have a picture opened in iPhoto, you can right-click on it and choose "Show File" and it will take you right to where the photo is stored on your disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
control (right) click on it and select "Show Package Contents"

OP
S
Reaction score
So to transfer them to another program, would I need to first use iPhoto to burn them to a new location. I suppose I could leave them in a photos folder as well, but then they will take up twice the disk space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
When you import into iPhoto, it does, indeed place them in a "locked" package. Apple designed it this way to keep users from tinkering in the library in finder. Do anything and everything to/with your photos from within the app itself. To upload them to, say, Facebook, drag the photo from the app to your desktop and upload from there. Some online apps may have plugins to help you choose your photo, and in some cases there is a "media" tab in your browser that will work as well. Just don't go into the library in finder! Just because you CAN (as dysfunction stated), does not mean you SHOULD. Best to forget that library is there!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
No, once you've done the 'Show package contents' bit you can move, delete, copy to your hearts content. It's just a part of the file system, to be honest from a command line level there isn't even a single noticable difference between that and any other directory.

Sorry, but I find the whole "you shouldn't be there" thing to be rather a misnomer. Like many things in OS X they're 'protected' from casual user operations, but the access is there for a reason. There are a good number of us that regularly are in and out of such 'protected files' with no consequence. It's a bit like using sudo and issuing privileged commands, you just have to understand what you're doing when you do so. This does not mean there's a reason to be afraid of it, just not something to do willy-nilly. For instance, copying the files from that location is simply faster, easier, and more efficient over all than 'exporting' them using iPhoto. Especially if you use terminal to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Well, I do know that if you start renaming photos, moving them, creating folders, etc. in the finder, iPhoto will no longer be able to find them and will be rendered useless. That is all I was trying to point out. The OP is obviously fairly new to macs, and probably not so familiar with the structures, etc. as dysfunction, so I thought it would be a good idea to keep the OP out of trouble.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
I was confused about this as well when I first moved my pics to my mac. Good thread.

Reaction score
transering files from iphoto to imovie

Very interesting thread. Thanks, I finally know how to see those files. I'd been there and forgotten how.

In fact, when I get a job and some money, I am thinking of upgrading to Aperture. Does it have a more "normal" filing system?

One reason I needed the files was to transfer video from iphoto to imovie. Before seeing this thread I ended up copying and pasting from the 2 interfaces, and it worked. They go to iphoto cause they are video from a still camera, imovie doesn't seem to recognize it as an external drive, although that may be Canon's fault.
I am unable to see the contents of the camera and delete them manually. Very annoying. I have to import them and then delete them.

And anyway, I know I've had other valid reasons in the past for wanting to see the actual files.

I had a go oat Adobe Lightroom once but didn't like it for some reason.

ps. I just tried dragging from iphoto to imovie and that is also working. But still, I'd rather go through imovie' import function as I currently have 7 windows open on my little laptop (even 17" feels little when you are used to dual 30 inches at work).

Reaction score
iPhoto picture file location

I equate it to a system file on PC. The default in windows is to hide those files so you can't accidentally do something to them. If you are using the functionality of iPhoto, it is storing the photo in iPhoto/masters... along with the info for face, location etc that you add to iPhoto and needs to have control over the related file to maintain the integrity of that information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I always tell new Mac users to think of iPhoto not as an application but as their photos folder itself, just with extra functionality laid on top of it. You can pretty much do everything you would do in a typical folder structure (copy, paste, drag, upload), but since editing photos is such a common task, this "folder" includes all the editing and organizing tools you need. And of course, the "real" files are there if it all makes you nervous.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.