• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

frustrated with iDVD '08

Reaction score
I wanted to create a DL DVD and then using dvd2one shrink it so it would fit onto one DVD. I have 2 episodes of my favorite series (each 1:40 hours long) and I chose a menu from iDVD '08 and the projected size was 6.7GB so that's why I chose DL and shrinking. I started the encoding yesterday at 23:00 and it finished 5 minutes ago at 12:10. So for 3:20 hours of video the encoding took 13:10 hours. I use a Macbook 2.16GHz with 2GB RAM and a 5400RPM HDD.

This is soooooo slow that it's frustrating!!! Do you know of any other DVD authoring application that doesn't require a dedicated GPU since mine is an integrated one?

And would anyone be willing to download the 2 episodes and try for themselves with some other Mac so I get a sense of things? I have the torrent still (all together less than 1GB download)

And can someone explain to me, would 4 cores and/or a dedicated GPU make a difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 895LL/A - 15.4" Santa Rosa C2D - 2GB RAM - 120 (onboard), 500GB ext FW/eSATA/USB2 HDDs
A dedicated GPU (or at least a GPU that supports Quartz Extreme, as do the most recent iterations of Macbook/MBP/Mac Pro) would be the cost-effective solution, as opposed to a fully decked out quad core Mac Pro. Here's how I do it (just my 2 shillings worth):

Source: either OTA HD broadcast (local Phoenix, AZ networks) using a Pinnacle HD Stick Pro (model 800e) and eyeTV 3 (3.0.2), which I then export as a DV to edit in iMovie 08. When I import an existing program (or yes, even some of my wife's older VHS tapes *shudder*) I use the breakout dongle for the HD Stick, into eyeTV, export as DV, and edit in iMovie 08. From there, I usually can export to iDVD and burn on the disc, with no problems.

If you have any other suggestions/ideas/workarounds/expedited procedures, feel free to jot them here...

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.