Do I want a MBP or an iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1 TB HD, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB, Bootcamp 3.0
I've been struggling with this decision all summer since I lost my computer when my house burned down in April. I've got some insurance money now because of the fire, and I've narrowed my choice down to the 17-inch: 2.5GHz MBP or the 24-inch: 3.06GHz iMac. The difficulty in this choice for me is mobility vs. price and hardware specs. I would like to have a laptop so I can take it to school and beyond, but I would also like to avoid a $3000+ purchase, even though I now have twice that in my bank account (I'm a poor college student who will be jobless when school starts). I also like what's inside the iMac more, as I'm into gaming and I'd like to have something that will run games that come out in next couple of years at higher graphic settings (like Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2). I was on the verge of purchasing the MBP a week ago because I was leaning towards mobility, but then I read the reports pertaining to the screwed up Nvidia 8600 that is seems to be overheating, so now I am re-considering the iMac. I need to make my purchase within a week or two, so I won't be waiting for the remodeled MBP.

If anyone has any advice that might assist me in making the most expensive purchase of my life, I'd be much obliged. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I'm not sure we can really!

It's a decision only you can make really.

Personally, I don't need mobility and hate small laptop screens. But you might think differently.

They're both great machines.

OP
nmccready
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1 TB HD, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB, Bootcamp 3.0
I know the decision is mine I'm just looking for opinions and advice that might help, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I was in this boat when I switched. I bought an iMac and liked it so much I bought a MacBook for traveling. The only problem was having crap scattered over two machines. I tried several ways to sync things, but in the end I sold the MacBook and gave the iMac to the wife. I then bought the love of my life - a new MacBook Pro. I like having one machine to worry about! Also, it is easy as pie to connect an external monitor if you need something bigger. If you have the cash I would buy the MBP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
well, when it comes to the graphics card problem, just remember that people only post when there is a problem, not when it's just working fine. i'm sure there are A LOT more that work fine, and should it break, i'm sure the apple store will help you out. i would go for the notebook, if you're in college, then you could use it in classes (IMO). but i'm sure it could handle some new blizzard games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Unibody MBP, 2.8ghz, 500gig, 4gig
i think u should go for the laptop.. mobility is great to have especially in college but i'm not sure how much mobility u can get with a huge 17 inch screen....

OP
nmccready
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, when it comes to the graphics card problem, just remember that people only post when there is a problem, not when it's just working fine. i'm sure there are A LOT more that work fine, and should it break, i'm sure the apple store will help you out. i would go for the notebook, if you're in college, then you could use it in classes (IMO). but i'm sure it could handle some new blizzard games.

Well, the news articles I've been reading say that all Nvidia 8400 & 8600 cards are messed up. You can't fix this on a MBP without replacing the entire motherboard. So what I am worried about is either Apple underclocking my computer so it won't overheat, or having the card break after the one year warranty expires (I don't want to fork out the extra cash for the extended warranty).

OP
nmccready
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i think u should go for the laptop.. mobility is great to have especially in college but i'm not sure how much mobility u can get with a huge 17 inch screen....

Yeah I was thinking it might be a hassle to carry around, I can go online to check my email or whatever with iPod Touch anyways right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
Well, the news articles I've been reading say that all Nvidia 8400 & 8600 cards are messed up. You can't fix this on a MBP without replacing the entire motherboard. So what I am worried about is either Apple underclocking my computer so it won't overheat, or having the card break after the one year warranty expires (I don't want to fork out the extra cash for the extended warranty).

Honestly, I haven't seen any reports of this kind lately. There doesn't seem to be widespread outrage with Apple over huge numbers of nonfunctional MBPs, so it's not something that I would worry about. The MBP is a worthy machine, and I'd highly recommend it over the iMac, given that you're a college student. The mobility there is a big help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
My 2¢ worth.

If you are ok with taking a pad into the lectures and taking notes the old fashioned way, then I'd say go the imac. Cheaper and great value for money in my opinion.

But if you want to do any of these things then you might need a mac pro:

1. Take notes in class with the computer as in type them out directly and avoid using pen and paper altogether there.

2. Go to a LAN party or take your computer to a friends place/out with you somewhere. Like to starbucks and do some work there.

3. If you need to work with your data on a field trip for your course. That is assuming you have field trips in your course. My one didn't have any though.

The Mac pro is a pretty good desktop replacement laptop. well the 17 inch one would be. I have a 17" screen on my imac and it's plenty big enough for everything I do.

So it's your call. But for me if it was going to be a sudo desktop for like 90% of the time I'd just get the imac. But if I really needed the portability I'd go the mac Pro. I would just ask what the policy is about the graphics chips just in case you get a dud one. Well we know what apple says about it. I am just referring to if you get it from a store near you that is, and their policy on certain things. And cause of this all, I'd have to recommend applecare too. Normally I wouldn't but there's just too much risk not having it now.

Reaction score
I recently saw an article in Mac World that said that the new trend is "if you have a good laptop, you don't need a desktop". I have an iMac but if I could trade for a MacBook Pro I would.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
>_>" Macs are not exactly gaming machines, and Gaming Notebooks are waste of money IMHO. >_<"

They don't last on battery power very long, they are really heavy and not very portable. They seem more like a desktop replacement than a mobile notebook.

However if you do insist on gaming then I would go with the MBP just because it's nice to bring your computer with you. Sometimes the teacher's lectures are extremely boring and I zone out and do other things. :p

I haven't had any issues with the Overheating, guess I'm just lucky. >_>" I use my MBP mostly for Web design and gaming when I have really long breaks between class.

Especially the first week of class where you show up for class and only stay for 1hr tops >_>" And then your next class starts 4hrs when it normally starts in 30 minutes. /Sigh >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66
iMac for the room, ibook/macbook for mobility. Believe me, a week moving a macbook pro all over and you'll quickly regret the decision. But you'll be tied down with an imac, so just do the best of both worlds. So yea.. I'd say get the top of the line imac, then use the rest of what the mbp would cost and get a refurb macbook.

Macbooks are great anyway. When my employer first gave me one I thought I'd hate it due to lower specs and screen, but I fell in love with the absolute mobility and battery life of the thing. And, those 24" screens on the imac are simply gorgeous

Reaction score
Buy a Macbook for $1000-$1200 and a gaming system for $400? If it's an option, you could build a gaming PC for your room.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
but can a MB do all that he wants.. like for my i love the MB and MBP but the MBP is so much mula it makes me think if i really need it for Graphic design or not.. i could get 2 blackbooks for the price of a 17" MBP

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
but can a MB do all that he wants.. like for my i love the MB and MBP but the MBP is so much mula it makes me think if i really need it for Graphic design or not.. i could get 2 blackbooks for the price of a 17" MBP

You don't need a MBP for Graphic Design. I have friends that use a MacBook and they love it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.