What kind of Mac for a elderly family member?

Reaction score
My grandparents are currently Windows "users," but they can't really do much more than play solitaire and check e-mail, and they were asking me for ideas for a new computer since they are tired of having problems with Windows. I told them to look into a Mac, since I've used Windows as long as I can remember until a few years ago when I started using Linux and a few weeks ago I switched to Mac, and I think that Mac is the most user friendly of the three.

So I got roped into finding a new computer for them. They don't want to spend much on a computer and they said that the Mac Mini was too expensive. I was thinking that maybe an older Mac would be a good idea, maybe an eMac or older iMac, but I'm not sure where to find them at online and ebay isn't the best option because they're ebay-phobic for some reason. Any help would be appreciated!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
600 bucks is too expensive really?

Reaction score
Check around and see if you can find an old G5 Imac with a 20" screen. Great computers would probably work good for them. Make sure it has at least a gig of ram. My wife has one and it has worked great for her for the last 5 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I agree. Some kind of 20" iMac so there is nothing to hook up wrong (ok not much to hook up wrong). Also, at that size they can bring it in if need be and move it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
If ebay is out, try craigslist. Or check the classifieds of your local newspaper's website, if it has one, for local residents who might be selling their older Apple computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
So I got roped into finding a new computer for them .... maybe an eMac or older iMac,

The all-in-one concept appeals to older folk. I know, because I am one :| and because I tutor and train older people in the use of their computers (Mac only these days).

I agree with others, the 20" iMac, or the eMac, would be my suggestions. If the latter, shop around for the 1.42 GHz (the very last model).

Did you know that you can use a Win PC keyboard and mouse with either of those computers. I've found that to be helpful to older people making the transition from PC to Mac. A familiar k'board and mouse is a good idea, esp in the early stages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
How about a G4 lamp iMac?

OP
P
Reaction score
I've been looking at that latest model of the eMac and the G4 lamp iMacs. I'll check the newspapers and craigslist for them. Does anyone know of any good websites to buy either of these from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I've been looking at that latest model of the eMac and the G4 lamp iMacs. I'll check the newspapers and craigslist for them. Does anyone know of any good websites to buy either of these from?

Assuming you're in the US, I can't from my country recommend any particular online auction site, but use the Search function of this forum and type in eMac. You'll see an eMac buyer who purchased 4 x 1.42 GHz machines from a university for a ridiculous price, thereby causing massive green-eye amongst the rest of us. It's the O-P factor, ie. Opportunity and Patience. Doesn't hurt to advertise either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.