Proud mac user for four months... still havent figured it all out

Reaction score
Nobody likes a "hay guys im new here lolz!!1!1" post, so let's get straight to business.

The number one thing that bugs me about my mac is that I can't cut and paste files from one drive to another, I have to copy them then delete the originals. Am I doing something wrong? Is it called something else in OS X?

Second thing, I made a new discovery just the other day: macs cant write to an NTFS drive. Some of you will laugh at me for not knowing that, but I've been saving documents to a windows server at work this whole time, so I was surprised. I understand the reasons it doesn't work now, and I've been looking into possible solutions (paragon, macFUSE), but I'd still like to know why I can write to NTFS over the network.

Last thing: ever since my first ipod (ah, monochrome screens) I have wanted an imac. Now that my company has seen fit to give me this shiny macbook, I'm really itching for a mac all of my own. I remember seeing in the news that apple got sued over poor quality screens in the 20" imacs not that long ago, can anybody tell me if this is still an issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
When you're moving files, hold the command key, click on the file and drag it to the new folder.

Nothing other than windows will write to NTFS natively there are programs that allow this. Your server at work is written to using a protocol called SMB, so the server at work actually does the write, not your client. Hence why you can write over the network.

Finally Apple got sued for 'overstating' the color generation capability of their 20" screens. Personally, unless you're doing photo work I see nothing wrong with the 20" screens at all.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ah, I knew I had to be doing something wrong. Thank you.

I thought it might be something like that, where the server does the work and the laptop gives instructions to the server. Or something. I won't pretend to know how it works. It took me installing bootcamp and windows to even realize it was an issue. I'm considering reinstalling windows onto a fat32 partition just to save myself the trouble.

Am I to understand that apple is still using the inferior screens then? As a graphic designer, this would actually be a big deal to me. Even if I never brought any work home (which I do, hence the company laptop) I'm kind of a photo nut, so I still wouldn't be happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
I got my parents a new iMac 20" and the screen on it is perfect. I didn't see any difference between quality at the store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Ah, I knew I had to be doing something wrong. Thank you.

I thought it might be something like that, where the server does the work and the laptop gives instructions to the server. Or something. I won't pretend to know how it works. It took me installing bootcamp and windows to even realize it was an issue. I'm considering reinstalling windows onto a fat32 partition just to save myself the trouble.

Am I to understand that apple is still using the inferior screens then? As a graphic designer, this would actually be a big deal to me. Even if I never brought any work home (which I do, hence the company laptop) I'm kind of a photo nut, so I still wouldn't be happy.
It's not an inferior screen, it's just not (or perhaps wasn't) capable of rendering the amount of colors originally claimed :) The monitors look great compared to most of the monitors out there. If I recall it's a better panel than the one on my macbook pro is

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.