• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

dave ramsey fans here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
his book "the total money makeover" is a must read if your tired of being in debt and being broke all the time.

I will warn you, it's different than what most of us normal (broke) persons were taught about borrowing money and debt.

google his name for more info

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
still follow Dave, about 10 yrs now... his plan works if you stick with it. Baby steps.

getting into debt is fun... digging out of debt not so much.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
getting into to debt maybe fun, but getting out of debt is HARD work.

Last edited:
OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
getting into to debt maybe fun, but getting out of debt is HARD work.

true. I worked a 2nd job for 4 years to help get out of debt. hard work. never want to be in that situation again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey "rman":

Long time no see. Glad that you still remember us. :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey "rman":

Long time no see. Glad that you still remember us. :)
True, it took an update to the site, for me to be able to log in again. :cool:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Great, always glad to see you around. You've been a member since 2002 and that's quite a distinction! :)

Regards, Charlie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I went through a Dave Ramsey course once and like it so much I ordered the version he has for High School students. Part of my curriculum dealt with entrepreneurship, record keeping, finances, etc.

I used his materials to teach financial responsibility, budgeting, and also how starting to save and invest at their age can result in them being very well off when they hit retirement age. I had parents that joined into the concepts and matched what their kids saved then helped them invest it.

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
True, it took an update to the site, for me to be able to log in again. :cool:

Hey there rman great to see ya. Thanks for dropping by!:)

The site update is about ~10 days now.

- Nick

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey there rman great to see ya. Thanks for dropping by!:)

The site update is about ~10 days now.

- Nick
:giggle: I have been trying to access the site for some time now, finally I was able to access it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
:giggle: I have been trying to access the site for some time now, finally I was able to access it.

Ohh really. Were you having troubles logging onto the old vBulletin site...or the new site?

If the old site...how long was this going on?

- Nick

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it was old site. i could access the main page, but when i try to log in. that when the problems would begin. as for how at least all of last year.

Reaction score
his book "the total money makeover" is a must read if your tired of being in debt and being broke all the time.

I will warn you, it's different than what most of us normal (broke) persons were taught about borrowing money and debt.

google his name for more info
I've coordinated at least a dozen Financial Peace classes at my church. I've followed Dave's philosophy for most of my life, even though I didn't realize it. What he teaches will absolutely make your life happier. While money isn't the most important thing in your life, it affects virtually every aspect of your life. If you have a bad relationship with money it will make your life miserable.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
We went through Financial Peace University 18 years ago.

Honestly nothing covered that I shouldn’t have already known and been doing . . . but I wasn’t. Made a huge difference in how we managed our money. I highly recommend it to everyone like me, who has an exceptional talent for wasting their money.
Debt free makes life a whole lot easier

Reaction score
We went through Financial Peace University 18 years ago.

Honestly nothing covered that I shouldn’t have already known and been doing . . . but I wasn’t. Made a huge difference in how we managed our money. I highly recommend it to everyone like me, who has an exceptional talent for wasting their money.
Debt free makes life a whole lot easier
It's really pretty common sense stuff, but you're right, most people aren't doing what they should be. I found something some time ago that basically says, all the financial advice you'll ever need in life can fit on one side of a 3X5 card. 1. Save 10% to 20% of every dollar you make. 2. Invest that money in the market broadly using indexed low cost mutual funds. 3. Stay out of debt, in particular, credit card debt. 4. Protect yourself from catastrophic loss (insurance). 5. Don't buy individual stocks. 6. If you have access to a 401K, max it out. There are a few more but these are the most important.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
still follow Dave, about 10 yrs now... his plan works if you stick with it. Baby steps.

getting into debt is fun... digging out of debt not so much.

I don't disagree with the "baby steps", other than maybe change the first one to "Make enough money to do the seven baby steps".

If the income is at the level of just baerly making ends meet, I challange anyone to do these steps. I've been through on this and took 5-6 years and hard work to pass the low income stage of my life with my family. Then another 2-3 years to pay off all of the accumulated debt. From there on, things were easier, especially after my kids got married. Yeah!!!

Life in the US isn't easy for poor people. As my daughter has stated, "Being poor is expensive..."

Reaction score
I've been coordinating Dave's classes for quite some time and I can tell you that anyone can do the baby steps no matter what they make. I personally know people that were in minimum wage jobs that did every baby step except paying off the mortgage and they're well on their way to doing that. It's a matter of learning to live within your means. I don't care what you make, anyone can follow these steps if you do so with focus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
@MacRomancer...

We can just agree to disagree.

There are always people, who make money on other people's misery. Dave is no exception from this, his solution is sold as a product...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Common sense is not universal. All "senses" are to each individual.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.