Asks for WEP key on unencrypted network

Reaction score
We run a wifi hotspot and have seen this same issue many times now. As it is a public network, we do not use any local encryption, but often Mac users tell us that their airport devices are report the network as requiring a WEP key. I am not a mac user personally and have limited knowledge of the platform. Can anyone offer a reason why this may be happening? We are stumped.

TIA

Reaction score
what brand is the router?
did you reset the router?
and is the output set to g and b?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I personally have never had that issue with my iBook with Tiger or Leopard and any WiFi Hotspot that used no encryption. I take it no one with a Windows laptop is having any issues connecting?

Like was asked in the previous post, what brand and model is the router? Is it set to Open or Shared for the WiFi connect?

I have actually had the reverse here with my Windows XP or Vista notebooks and Ibook. The iBook connects without issue to more WiFi networks than my Windows machines. Strange.

OP
G
Reaction score
Sorry, should have included more details. The routers are from Mikrotik and are running 802.11 b only. PC do not have this same problem.

We have seen some strange issues if the signal is not very strong and as this is an outdoor network, we are never really sure how good the signal quality is because the laptop will not even attempt to connect according to the router.

Reaction score
you should set your router to g and b. that might help.

-Matthew

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.