How to configure (soon-to-be) my MBP

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm on the market for a new laptop and I've been researching like crazy. I last got an Alienware Sentia back in 2005 when I first came to college (had an insane student discount, like $500 off!)- but it quickly turned into a POS. I knew nothing about what I was ordering and a friend just told me that they had a great rep, so i thought what the ****. even though my heart was set on a MB, my grandmother was buying it for my for a grad present from high school and I was trying to find a decent deal for her. ANYWAYYY fast forward three years later and the thing has just about crapped out on me, it turns off about 5x a day whenever I try to move it, the battery is completely dead and it freezes up constantly when I'm using Firefox. I want to do all the necessary research this time around, so I'm not disappointed in 6 months like I was last time.

I'm really getting into design, mostly for the web but I'm also interning for a magazine and creating ads...so I need the whole CS lineup in my next machine. From everything I've been reading, I can tell a MBP is the way to go. I have about $2300 to spend - cashing in my 21-year-old savings bonds! haha-, and I'm really trying to stay there (though I can go a LITTLE over).

I don't need a powerhouse necessarily, but definitely something decent and I really want this machine to last me a few years. Chances are, I'll be going into some sort of light web design/graphic editing/layout design aspect of the journalism field after I graduate this year, so I need to know this baby is gonna keep up. My question is now, what do you guys recommend I order as a base machine from Apple? I've been reading about installing my own RAM upgrade, as they rip you off completely there, but not the hard drive as that voids my warranty (right?) I know there are probably fifty million threads like this, I've searched through a bunch but can't find any that straight up give me the specs I should get for needs like mine.

I kind of know computers, both mac and pc, but I'm not a hardcore enthusiast or anything. I don't really game, hahah my extent of that is a little of The Simms 2 when I'm super bored in classes. So I don't really know what all the numbers and stuff mean...once the conversation gets really technical, I get lost. Also, and I know everyone has a different opinion about this, but do you think this refresh really going to be coming soon?? I don't want to wait much longer for my new machine, I don't know if I can stand this Alienware anymore, but if it means a better MBP for less money....the idea is enticing. Sorry for such a long post, and I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to help me out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
It's always good to start a post with a cliché, so I will. At the end of the day, there is no real right or wrong choice for the things you listed.

Alienware was an odd choice for a student, because their machines are expensive and really geared towards gaming as a desktop replacement, not portability.

Obviously this is a Mac board, so most people will recommend a Mac. For what you need, almost any model would be fine, 2GBs of RAM is enough for most things as are the standard HDDs. Incidentally the MacBook HDD is very easy to replace and does not void your warranty.

OP
K
Reaction score
I know Alienware was an odd choice, the Sentia was actually marketed as their recommendation as a student machine, not for gaming...their attempt to produce for the masses basically. Guess they didn't do too well, hah I just checked and they don't even make them anymore. It was actually pretty cheap in the end after the rebates, I think $1200? If I remember correctly.

When it comes down to it thought, I'm definitely getting a mac. After reading a bunch these past few days, I almost let myself get talked out of it and into a cheaper pc with the same power...but then I remembered how much I hate windows and everything that has come along with it. I also know that the field I'm going into, almost everyone uses Macs. Its all I use at my current job, and in the school student labs. I let myself get talked out of it once three years ago, and regretted it ever since...so I'm just taking the plunge this time!

I guess my concern is do I get the cheaper, less powerful MB , or just go with the MBP to last me longer/be able to run the CS3 programs better? Im leaning towards the MBP, but ugh just so much money...I want to be sure.

But thank you for your opinion, I appreciate it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
I know Alienware was an odd choice, the Sentia was actually marketed as their recommendation as a student machine, not for gaming...their attempt to produce for the masses basically. Guess they didn't do too well, hah I just checked and they don't even make them anymore. It was actually pretty cheap in the end after the rebates, I think $1200? If I remember correctly.

When it comes down to it thought, I'm definitely getting a mac. After reading a bunch these past few days, I almost let myself get talked out of it and into a cheaper pc with the same power...but then I remembered how much I hate windows and everything that has come along with it. I also know that the field I'm going into, almost everyone uses Macs. Its all I use at my current job, and in the school student labs. I let myself get talked out of it once three years ago, and regretted it ever since...so I'm just taking the plunge this time!

I guess my concern is do I get the cheaper, less powerful MB , or just go with the MBP to last me longer/be able to run the CS3 programs better? Im leaning towards the MBP, but ugh just so much money...I want to be sure.

But thank you for your opinion, I appreciate it :)

Just my .02 cents here:

But from what you described in your OP, I would consider the highest MB with 2.4gz dual core processor. You can upgrade the RAM yourself for a lot cheaper (4gb). I found some off newegg.com for 70 bucks signed, sealed, and delivered. Now I'll admit the screen isn't huge but it's meant to be portable. You could use that money you are saving for a decent monitor for your apt/dorm room and hook it up to that when you wanna do some work.

You may also want to consider Refurbished MB and MBP from the apple website. I just purchased my macbook for a few hundred dollars cheaper. Right out of the box it looked brand new. No defects or scars on the case, just like new. It comes with all the new stuff of course AND they give it a new serial number allowing you to get applecare when you purchse it. I went on ebay and bought apple care for $150. So for a brand new like laptop I paid, just over $1,170 (applecare + 4gb RAM upgrade).

If you aren't going to be doing anything graphic intensive (i.e gaming and video editing), why spend the extra money? Just thought I'd give you something to think about.

</.02 cents>

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for your $.02 :) I was just talking to my boss, a web designer who absolutely loves apple and has refurbished them for years and helps everyone in our office...and he told me that I'd probably be good with what you mentioned, a high end macbook. i think i could drive myself crazy for days reading everyones opinions back and forth! The screen size is fine for me, I'm working on like a 12" now it'll be better than that. I've thought about the refurbs too, but with my student discount plus the huge discount in a printer/adobe design premium/ipod touch, it really works out to my advantage. im using all the rebates!

And then the whole waiting for the upgrade...i decided im just going to order one anyway now, i don't really want a first gen laptop and deal with all those issues. At least i know the ones out now are quality! Ugh but then I think about an upgraded graphics card for a cheaper price....

I'm obviously a very conflicted person. I wish i knewwww when and what the upgrades are gonna be!! Obviously, so does everyone else.

OP
K
Reaction score
Andddd if anyone is still reading this thread, I got so excited thinking about a new Mac that I drove to the Cherry Hill mall today and just spent about $2500 on a new MBP :) well that, along with my free ipod, printer, the adobe design premium, and mobile me. loooove it!

Reaction score
Glad, I read the last post before adding my .02. Congrats and enjoy. Welcome to the Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive

I saw your thread this morning. Bummer man. This is something that would happen to me as well and I was worried my refurb'd mac would be DOA.

I would try reinstalling the OS like the people in the thread suggested. That or take it back to the store and demand a new one. Either way, I feel your pain. Sucks when you spend that much money and it just doesn't work :Grimmace:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.