Getting a new iMac ... A few questions ...

Reaction score
Hi, everyone:

I will be selling my PC sometime this week, and after I get the payment in hand, I am going to go buy an iMac (long-time DOS/Windows user here).

What I'm looking for at this point is feedback as to what I should do. Here goes:

1. The model I'm looking at now is the 20" iMac 2.66 GHz one with 2 GB of RAM. Good choice, long-term, for general computing needs? How long do you feel that this model's relevance would last?

2. Would it be safe to buy a refurbished iMac online from Apple? Are refurbished iMacs as durable or reliable as newly made iMacs are?

3. There is a major local electronics store near where I live. They offer a "Bill-Me-Later" option with no interest for 6 months. Of course, I plan on finishing off payments before the 6 month period expires. I also know about the Juniper card being offered by Apple, but I dread the thought of having a second credit card. What is the best way to purchase and/or finance iMacs?

Thanks to all in advance.

OP
O
Reaction score
*bump* Come on; thought the folks on this forum were supposed to be some of the friendliest ones around for all things Apple and Mac.

Let's see a few responses. Don't let the "bystander effect" take control of you ...

Reaction score
1. For general computing, that will be a powerhouse. Macs in general have a great lifespan. My mom used an iMac for 7 years before inheriting my old eMac, which is 4 years old, running Leopard just fine, and should have a couple more years left in it.

2. My only experience with Apple refurbs is with an iPod Nano... it was shipped DOA, but they quickly replaced it. The replacement was indistinguishable from a new iPod. I've heard the same good things about refurb computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'd personally skip the Juniper Card, I looked at the terms once and wouldn't pay that kind of interest. I finance them through my credit union when I do, then pay them off before any real interest is accrued.

Reaction score
1) That machine will be perfect. I still have and actively use macs in my lab that are six-seven years old -- and we run photoshop and indesign on them (albeit more slowly than the newer models!). In my house, we still have and regularly use the old "lampshade" iMac, which is still my favorite design, and it must be well over five years by now. Bottom line: in my experience, the mac you buy today will still be relevant at least 5-7 years from now.

2) Unless you simply prefer spending more than you have to, if the refurb has the specs you want, you would be foolish to pay more. I highly recommend the refurbs. Equal quality, full warranty, nice discount. Why pay more? (Spend the savings on AppleCare-- it is worth way more than they charge if you ever need it.)

3) Got nothing for you on this one. ;-)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.