A switchers experience

Reaction score
I had been thinking about switching to Mac for quite a while and decided to do it. Here is my experience of it so far which may help others who are thinking of switching.

Firstly it is very easy to fall into the trap of windows bashing. This is not necessary or really relevant when you've made the decision. And lets face it - whats the point. Lets focus on the good points and bad points for making your decision.

To begin with, I asked myself what I needed from a computer. And what I actually used on my old PC. Very simple - Internet access/Email, music, Office, perhaps the odd game or two (but my console takes care of that).
So thats what I used - but I also liked the idea of running some creative apps/design software etc and having portability.

What I was unhappy with regarding my windows machine was 1) Reliability 2) Viruses 3) numerous annoyances which had grown over time with the software that was supplied.

That's when I got into this forum and decided to research the possibility of a mac.

I ended up going for a white macbook 2.4Ghz 2Gig RAM.
6 months down the line and it is the best decision I have ever made.
sure it takes a while to get used to all the short cuts - The Command button etc. One thing I notice (when using a windows machine now) is how easy it is to type on the macbook keyboard. The keys are slightly further apart - means at first you encounter some typos, but once used to it - it is tremendous.
Another obvious benefit, is OSX. It really is intuitive and easy to use, the applications which you get with it are great and plentiful. Ok I admit that some of the novelties wear off... like photobooth, but they do no harm. Considering what you get with Leopard it is a fantastic package.

I also find myself not thinking anymore, ok is my pc going to crash today, will I have a virus, will I have to restart countless times. I am well aware that macs are not perfect and can encounter problems, however I have experienced none of these. Also I liked the idea of there being hardly any viruses (if any - although I presume it's only a matter of time as the mac market share expands?)

The mac-forums website has been an invaluable first port of call, especially the switchers guide to software sticky. The apps which are available seem to compliment Leopard so well - such as Quicksilver. The members here - especially the long serving ones are an institution themselves. Thanks!
One tip for newbees on this site.. use the SEARCH function, I doubt there's not a question you have thats not been answered already.

All in, I would thoroughly recommend making the switch to Mac - PC's are not redundant however and are handy to have around - for hardcore gamers etc.. There is no 'My dads better than your dad' when the Windows v Mac argument gets raised. They are both good in their own way (although Ive not used Vista yet), I just find working on my macbook a much more pleasant experience.

I've lots to learn, but I am enjoying the process on the mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
well said, and glad you are a happy mac user :D

And reminding us all of the search function is a really good idea

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.