Just bought my 1st ever Macbook... now what?

Reaction score
So, FINALLY I've just bought my first ever Mac, a Macbook Pro with 200GB, 15" and all the rest.

I haven't even turned it on yet, and I'd like to know of any great little tips or ideas about what software, widgets or things I should install, and how to treat the OS and the rest of it well before I get to far down the track?

I found the instructions and info a bit lacking, so what's one of the best things/little secrets of the Macbook?

cheers guys!

Reaction score
Grab some good open-source programs - I posted some of my favorites here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Step 1: Turn on
Step 2: Enjoy!

Doesn't get any easier than that! :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So, FINALLY I've just bought my first ever Mac, a Macbook Pro with 200GB, 15" and all the rest.

I haven't even turned it on yet, and I'd like to know of any great little tips or ideas about what software, widgets or things I should install, and how to treat the OS and the rest of it well before I get to far down the track?

I found the instructions and info a bit lacking, so what's one of the best things/little secrets of the Macbook?

cheers guys!

I'd say the first thing you need to do is turn on two-fingered tapping for secondary click. This is one of the options in System Preferences => Keyboard & Mouse => Trackpad tab. This allows you to do a right-click by tapping with two fingers on the trackpad. Very handy.

The second thing I'd recommend is that you pick up a copy of David Pogue's Mac OS X Leopard : The Missing Manual. This is a great reference guide that covers everything from OS X to the iLife suite that is included with your new machine. It's an invaluable guide for Switchers.

Lastly, take advantage of the search feature here on Mac-Forums. We've been fielding switcher questions for quite a long time here, and there's a wealth of knowledge contained within these forums, ripe for the plucking - including quite a few threads that cover must-have software and peripherals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro: 15"/2.33GHz/2Gb
You have it, but you haven't turned it on yet?

Holy crap, I couldn't get the thing out of the box quick enough to turn it on and see what would happen.

Reaction score
When you open the box, remember Pulp Fiction when Travolta looks into the briefcase? Yep. That's a mac.

Good things are gonna happen when you open that thing up.

Tips:
Set hot corners (right corner mouse gesture desktop, etc.)
Expose
Spaces
Scrolling gesture, right click gesture

Try to learn keyboard command shortcuts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
I think the most obvious this is setting it up the way you want it. From the dock to wallpaper to power saver settings. Personally, I spent a ton of time in system preferences and made sure to set everything the way I wanted it.

I don't know about everyone else, but I can spend hours tweaking my settings to get them just right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13.3 White - 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram, 250 GB HDD
Hey I jsut got my Macbook today as well.. when the Fedex guy came I was like.... so effin' happy hahaha. Well what I did was just charge the battery to full and changed my wallpaper... i browsed a bit but i didn't have time to do anything... i'm at work right now and i'm just itching to get back home to see what i can do... the double tap right click is interesting ... i might have to try that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
now what? easy.

give it to me. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.