Is my router a firewall?

Reaction score
Hi All

I was reading an article about MacOS Xs firewall.....

I am sure that a few years ago I read somewhere that if I access the internet from a router then the router acts as a firewall - and provided I have no other network connections, then the built-in firewall is not needed.

can anyone confirm if that is correct?

In our house we have 2 macs connecting via 1 router - and that's it. Do i need os x's firewall?

Any thoughts appreciated

Robert

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Most routers have a NAT firewall, which is a fairly basic, hardware firewall. The software firewall built into your Mac, provides an additional layer of protection and should be left enabled as well. If you'd like a more thorough explanation, let me know.

OP
R
Reaction score
Correct setting?

Thank you for that.

So my software firewall is off - I have enabled it now with the third option "set access for specific services and applications" - and now whenever an application needs internet access I get asked to authorise and it gets added to a little list in the firewall window.

Is this the best firewall setting?

Many thanks

Robert

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thank you for that.

So my software firewall is off - I have enabled it now with the third option "set access for specific services and applications" - and now whenever an application needs internet access I get asked to authorise and it gets added to a little list in the firewall window.

Is this the best firewall setting?

Many thanks

Robert

It really depends on your needs. If you like to have some control over what applications can open up a server connection, then yes. In my opinion, sitting behind a hardware firewall, you could probably get away with "Allow only essential services".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.