Windows on the Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Playing games on a Mac?

Hi there. I heard that the new OS on Mac let's you run Windows. I think it's called Boot Camp. Does that mean you can download online games or other windows based programs from the internet and run them on the Mac? My windows got fried and I'm buying a new Mac Book Pro this week for school. I want to be able to play my rpg games and use some free programs, but they're all designed for windows. What can you tell me?

edit* I just read through that and it's kinds hard to understand. I just want to know if I can run a windows program on the new Mac.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi there. I heard that the new OS on Mac let's you run Windows. I think it's called Boot Camp. Does that mean you can download online games or other windows based programs from the internet and run them on the Mac? My windows got fried and I'm buying a new Mac Book Pro this week for school. I want to be able to play my rpg games and use some free programs, but they're all designed for windows. What can you tell me?

edit* I just read through that and it's kinds hard to understand. I just want to know if I can run a windows program on the new Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Jonny,

Yes, you can. The Intel based Macs can run Windows in 2 ways - the first is installing it via Boot Camp and the second is importing it into a VM like Parallels or Fusion. The disadvantage of using the VM is that Windows runs slower that way. If you install Windows in Boot Camp, it runs at native speeds, because it's using all the resources of the Mac - OS X is not running! The disadvantage of Boot Camp s that you have to re-boot between Mac and Windows each time you want to use the other program.

You can install almost any Windows programs using either schema. And you also have internet either way, so you can also download programs.

If you're primary use of Windows is games, you'll do better with Boot Camp, it's faster. When you get your Macbook Pro, go to your Applications>Utilities folder and open the Boot Camp Assistant.app, there you'll see a button to print the Boot Camp Installation & Setup Guide. Print it an follow to a T and you'll do fine to get Windows installed.

Good luck, Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Jonny,

This looks like a double posting, I answered your question in the latter post

Noel

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Merged cross-posted threads.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.