• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A rant that will make you laugh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
So you think you work at a crappy job? Chances are, I'd love to have your job. Why? Well my job is a telephone interviewer. Doesn't sound that bad, right? HAH. I sit in a cubicle for 6 hours a day calling people (Which is fine) and I have to deal with rude, vindictive, condescending, ignorant 20 year old girls for my "Supervisors" (I use SUPERVISOR loosely.)
The surveys I call these people with are often quite long, so it pays to be charismatic like I am, because I make the survey pleasurable for the participant as I'm always making them laugh and have a good time! Wouldn't you want that? These surveys are usually 30 minutes long! Of course, I'm ALWAYS getting YELLED AT to be quiet. (Kinda hypocritical, eh?) A stomach bug has been going around down here in Florida, and unfortunately I caught it a couple of days ago. I didn't have to worry though because I didn't have to go into work until Friday. I called out of work on Friday because I couldn't even see straight, that's how sick I was. Now, before I get into what happened last night...I am on a probationary period at my job which means I cannot be absent for more than 1 day in a month period or I WILL get fired. Well common sense says I better suck it up and try to work on Saturday....I should've just stayed home...I really should've. At the beginning of my shift, I told two of the actual nice and caring supervisors that I was sick but I would try to do my best to do my job. Throughout my shift I was continually getting up to go to the bathroom and get water. Could you blame me? The survey I was on was 40 minutes long...That's A LOT of talking. My throat was continually sore so I needed water about every 15 minutes. Now that I've given you guys the backround to my wonderful day, fast forward to 9:15PM. I have 15 minutes left on my shift and I feel AWFUL. I feel like I am literally about to vomit everywhere. I tell one of the nice supervisors if it's okay that I leave early, I feel like plague and I want to go home. She says to me "Well Jaguar, I don't have the power to do that, but if you want to go home , go up to the front desk and let them know." The lady at the front desk overheard the conversation and a couple of other people did as well and they said "Oh Jaguar c'mon you only have 15 minutes left! You can do it!" While these people were telling me this, a supervisor (Or so I thought) walked by and said "Just DNQ all the calls." She starts to walk away and I say "Uhhh...What's DNQ?". She cops an attitude with me and says "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT DNQ IS?" I'm like "Uh no, I'm not a supervisor and I've been here for 3 weeks, I don't know every little technical term here." She says "Well it means you press "Answering Machine" for all of the people who answer. As long as you're dialing, it doesn't matter." I quizzically look at her and say "And this is ok to do?" and she says "Yes." Well I pressed "Answering Machine" for 4 calls, and I then got up and got some more water. Upon sitting down at my chair, I had three supervisors just yell at me, saying "JAGUAR SIT DOWN!" "STOP GETTING UP!" "RAISE YOUR HAND WHEN YOU NEED TO GET UP!" , then a Quality Control monitor storms up to me as I'm just plopping down in my chair and says "SO YOU'VE CALLED A TOTAL OF FOUR PEOPLE IN THE PAST 5 MINUTES, AND YOU'VE HIT ANSWERING MACHINE FOR ALL OF THEM! WHY?" I say "Well that supervisor right over there *points to supervisor* said I could do that." The QC lady says "You're lying, theres no way you would've been told to do that." I smile, look at her and say "Ma'am with all due respect, I cannot tell a lie, why don't you ask the supervisor for yourself?" The QC lady looks at the girl and says "That's not a supervisor, she works up front? Why would you listen to her?" I laugh and say "Uhhh...She's walking around like she's a supervisor, telling people what to do and what not to do, why wouldn't I listen to her? Look just have the girl come over here and you can ask her for yourself." The girl comes over and the QC lady asks if she told me to hit answering machine for all of the calls...Well what do you think the girl said? C'mon....What do YOU think she said? You know what's coming but I'll type it anyways. "I told him to put in Answering Machine only if an answering machine picks up." I just look down at the ground, shake my head and laugh. The QC lady is just standing there yelling at me at this point, and I'm not even paying attention to what she's saying...I look at the girl who has now just blatantly lied in front of my face, and I say "How old are you?" She replies "23." I reply with "Well since you're 23 I'll let you in on a secret: Since you have a supervisory role, you need to be crystal clear with your orders to your subordinates otherwise it will be up to gross misinterpretation." She looks at me and yells at me, saying "I DON'T NEED YOU TO TELL ME HOW TO DO MY JOB!" I smile (Mind you I'm keeping my cool the whole time.) and say "Funny, I'm pretty sure you said press answering machine for all of the calls, why would I lie about that? I seem pretty adamant about it, do I not?" And she replies with "Ok you are right, I am sorry, I should've clarified my request." Mind you the QC lady is still yelling at me, so the girl looks at the QC lady asking the same question over and over again "WHY DID YOU DO IT?!" In which the girl asks the same question to me. " I gently put my hands on her arms and say I'm sick." This woman just FREAKS OUT after this saying "DON'T YOU PUT YOUR [expletive] HANDS ON ME YOU [expletive] EVER AGAIN! I DON'T GIVE A [expletive] IF YOU'RE [expletive] SICK!!!" And storms off. At this point the lady behind the desk goes YOU NEED TO GO HOME YOU'RE DONE! I laugh and say "Are you serious?" as I put my completed survey sheet on the desk, I notice this lady is writing me up for INSUBORDINATION!!!!! I look at her and go "Are you SERIOUS?" she replies with "Yep." I ask "For what?" The lady replies with "You weren't dialing, you were yelling, making a scene,you were constantly getting up throughout your shift, and you put your hands on a person." I just burst out laughing, and reply with "#1. I was doing as I was TOLD, #2. This is the FIRST TIME I am raising my voice, #3. I was talking calmly, those two lovely women went off the deep end at me, and for #4. I'm SICK! I need water constantly!" The lady replies with "You're not supposed to get out of your seat for the last hour of your shift and whenever you get up, you're supposed to raise your hand." I laugh again and say "Listen dearest, I've been BACK from my BREAK for 30 minutes, so your made up rule is dumb. I'm not signing that." And the lady goes that's fine you can't work until you speak with human resources on Monday. I laugh and say "You have a GREAT night. GOD BLESS YA!" and I walk out. Story over right? Oh no! As I was about to leave the place, this guy is chasing after me while I'm on my bike! As I'm sitting at the stop light, the guy comes up to me and is screaming at me 'WHY THE [expletive] DID YOU TOUCH MY GIRL!!!???" I still have my hand on the clutch and I'm getting a little bit antsy as to what in the world do I do...Thankfully nobody was coming and I screwed out of there...CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS!?!?!?!?!? I still can't!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Antiglare)
Oh my god. I have to give you credit on several counts.

1. You typed ALOT of information and didn't lose me at one point.
2. You endured such a situation (unreal)
3. You actually made me laugh from reading something on forums
4. You're grammar was good enough considering the volume of your post.

Good work and god speed :D

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
why the [expletive] are you working there anyway?

;P

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Apparently I received an infraction too, for what I have no idea...Anyways...
I'm working there because there aren't any jobs here in Florida PERIOD. I am one of the VERY select few that is going to college...Sad...
Yeah I know, it's an unreal situation...I'm seriously considering pressing legal charges against this company...I really do feel like I am a victim of discrimination.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
woah, im impressed you handled the situation so calmly!! as mentioned above, well done on writing such a clear and accurate post! Seems like a pretty crap couple of weeks all in all. Just look forward to your time at college!!

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yes and how can I forget what happened to my powerbook too....Hahaha only me, only me....

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh and I just got a $229.00 speeding ticket because some idiot pulled out in front of me so I stepped on it to pass the guy so I wouldn't hit either A. The guy or B. Oncoming traffic.
I give up. I'm going to bed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I would have told them exactly where to go, and would be more than happy to tell them exactly how to get there! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
Coincidence? I think not!

I couldn't help but notice that all (except for the last one) of the people yelling at you, and getting angry at you were women. xD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
I couldn't help but notice that all (except for the last one) of the people yelling at you, and getting angry at you were women. xD

That's what happens when women run a business...

*hides in a corner*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.4ghz/4gigram/sd/leopard
That's what happens when women run a business...

*hides in a corner*

LOL, I have noticed at the pizza place i work at, that our productivity goes down proportionate to the number of hot girls on staff.:D

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know...It's kind of sad but I feel like I'm watching my life go in a downward spiral right now:
Not being able to find a normal job
The laptop fiasco
This ticket now
Me being berated at my current "job"
The fact school is two weeks away and I still haven't heard from my mom in regards to whether or not she's going to send me the money from my stocks to pay for college
Ehhh If I'm even going to get the right classes now?
I'm broke
I'm stressed
and Miserable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
Don't Worry

At least you have your Mac!;D Don't sweat it. It'll all work out.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah yes, my old trusted eMac. (I'm still waiting for the macbook to come in the mail.) Yes it's not really fast enough to play games on here, but man...What would I do without this thing...*Hugs eMac*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
I feel for you. There was alot of 18-20 year old female supervisers at my last job and all i will say is there was serious power issues going on. Im not saying that always happens, just that ive seen it first hand and its nasty.

i knew the situation was bad right away when you called her on her mistake. it made her look stupid and put her on the defensive. once that happened any chance of discussion of communication problems were lost. all she is going to do is try to not look stupid from that point on.

you also said you laughed. no matter how funny the situation is if your being confronted by a superior laughing doesnt help. it makes them think you are not taking the situation seriously, or worse.. them seriously or thier job position seriously.

overall though good job on not flipping out. this is especially difficult not to do when your sick as a dog.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Ah yes, my old trusted eMac. (I'm still waiting for the macbook to come in the mail.) Yes it's not really fast enough to play games on here, but man...What would I do without this thing...*Hugs eMac*

Lots of gold stars to you for posting about why we should love eMacs. We are eMacevangelists! Let's hear it for us!!! Yaaaaaaaay!

If you want to know what a seriously testing job is, try being a manager at a tourist information centre. Do tourists ever think for themselves? ;D

Here's one (from one of the sweetest, prettiest, nicest tourists I ever met):
"Hi, my husband, children and I are wanting to go out on the big boat to watch the Hectors dolphins. We're from Ohio and we've never been out to sea before. How high do you think the waves are gonna be?" (this is 10.15 am).
What am I to do/say?
I looked purposefully out the window, directly at a tall hedge some 50 m away, and said ...
"I think I can assure you Ma'am that the sea is going to be calm today."
And it was. I never saw that lovely lady again. I can only hope that the dolphins cooperated.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Wow my eyes are bleeding. Paragraph breaks are your friend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook--2.4ghz--4gb RAM--250gb HD__iPod Touch 8gb
I feel sorry you had to go through that but you did the right thing, there are a lot of people out there that wouldn't react as calm as you did *applaudes*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
If high school took the form of a job that would be it. Dude you should probably look for another job!

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think if I lose my job, I will be consulting a lawyer for discrimination because I really feel like I am being discriminated against.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.