iTunes, best way to transfer to iMac

Reaction score
Hey Gang,
Waiting on my refurbished iMac to get here. So while I wait, just trying to get some helpfull hints on transfering music, pictures, videos and files from my old Windows machine to my new iMac.
What whould you suggest is the best way? Some people tell me a program such as "Move to Mac" is the best way, others mention buying an external hard drive and copying and pasting all the needed files.
I'm really concerned about my iTunes however. I have a fair amount of music, a lot downloaded from the iTunes store - a lot imported from CDs.
Second part of my question is if I go with the external hard drive way, where do I find all my music files (and will my downloaded music be able to be found and transfered)?

Again, thanks in advance.

Reaction score
There should be a folder called itunes music (Not sure where this is on a PC, probably in one of those silly named folders such as My Documents or My Music) . Just copy that to your external drive and then replace the (Probably empty) itunes music folder on your new Mac with this one.

OP
Z
Reaction score
There should be a folder called itunes music (Not sure where this is on a PC, probably in one of those silly named folders such as My Documents or My Music) . Just copy that to your external drive and then replace the (Probably empty) itunes music folder on your new Mac with this one.

Cheers,
So you would think that the external hard drive would be the easiest way to transfer files?

Reaction score
Yes, should just be a matter of dragging and dropping them from one to the other. It's basically like using a massive USB stick:)

In fact thinking about it, depending how large your files are you could just use a USB stick/pen drive (8GB ones are really cheap these days), or burn them as data DVDs to achieve the same, if you don't want to fork out for an external HD.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Yes, should just be a matter of dragging and dropping them from one to the other. It's basically like using a massive USB stick:)

In fact thinking about it, depending how large your files are you could just use a USB stick/pen drive (8GB ones are really cheap these days), or burn them as data DVDs to achieve the same, if you don't want to fork out for an external HD.

Great idea, cause it's not that much info I want to transfer. A dozen or so documents, a hundred pictures or so and a couple videos.
I could use my iPod as a flash device and transfer my music library that way.

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
If you have a router, set up a network. It's easy on the Mac. I had never done it before, and managed to do it quickly when I got my Mac a couple of days ago, and transfer stuff over the network.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks for the help,
If I do switch all my files via iPod as a flash device, when importing, must I alway import one song at a time?

Reaction score
No. If you use your ipod in disk/flash mode (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1478) it should be just the same as using an external hard drive or USB stick, so just do the same as I mentioned earlier (I.E. Save your 'itunes music' folder to it and then replace the one on your Mac with it.)

You shouldn't have to import anything individually.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.