Time machine - I need some advice before getting started.

Reaction score
I would like to use time machine on my 24" Intel imac. I have a couple of questions before I purchase an external HDD.

1. Does time machine only create backups of files, or complete HDD disk images like super duper?

2. Can I store both time machine backup files and super duper images on the same HDD? Or will the HDD exclusively be for time machine?

2a. If so, can I boot up off the time machine HDD to restore super duper images?

2b. Do I need to store the super duper images in a separate folder, partition?

3. Firewire or USB - Any advantages over the other? Will my imac boot off either?

4. I have a 320 gig HDD in my imac - any recommendations re/ size of external HDD required for time machine?

5. If I use an external 3.5" HDD, I need to keep it plugged into power all the time. After a certain amount of time, I guess the HDD will go to sleep until it's required. Sound correct? I guess I was concerned about the life of the drive if it's spinning for 8-10 hour a day!

Thanks in advance...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
I would like to use time machine on my 24" Intel imac. I have a couple of questions before I purchase an external HDD.

1. Does time machine only create backups of files, or complete HDD disk images like super duper?

I think only files

2. Can I store both time machine backup files and super duper images on the same HDD? Or will the HDD exclusively be for time machine?

You could partition the external to handle both, but you're safer with 2 externals. Use one for each backup schema. If one dies, you still have the other.

2a. If so, can I boot up off the time machine HDD to restore super duper images?

You'd have to boot off the partition with SuperDuper on it.

2b. Do I need to store the super duper images in a separate folder, partition?

Yes, separate partition.

3. Firewire or USB - Any advantages over the other? Will my imac boot off either?

Firewire is faster, lots of folks use it. I prefer USB and I bought a USB-powered enclosure so I don't need an extra power supply. It powers up only when I plug it in...

4. I have a 320 gig HDD in my imac - any recommendations re/ size of external HDD required for time machine?

It's said it should be twice the size of your Mac hard drive, but I'm using a 320GB internal and a 120GB for TM and it works fine. It just doesn't save older files as long. A 320, 250 or even 120 would work well. If your saves are really critical, I'd go with a 320 or 250.

5. If I use an external 3.5" HDD, I need to keep it plugged into power all the time. After a certain amount of time, I guess the HDD will go to sleep until it's required. Sound correct? I guess I was concerned about the life of the drive if it's spinning for 8-10 hour a day!

Why not use a smaller drive, like a 2.5" and use USB power to run it? I don't leave TM plugged in 24/7 - I take a backup every day or two, takes 5 minutes. But my files aren't that critical.

I'd be concerned about leaving a power supply plugged in all the time, but you're right, the HDD would probably go to sleep when not being used - but TM takes a look every hour... If your files are critical, I'd leave it plugged in. The life of the external drive is as good as your Mac drive, and you probably use it 8-10 hours a day, or at least fairly constantly.

Thanks in advance...

You're welcome, Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.