• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Ripping DVDs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.2Ghz, 2GB RAM20" iMac: 2.16 gHZ; 1GB RAM; 250 Gigz
Long time reader, first time poster.
I would like to know how to rip DVDs to keep them on my hard drive, so I can view them without the disc. I know nothing about this subject :dummy: so don't go wild on the terms, unless you can explain them, or tell me where to learn about them.
What software should I use to rip the DVD and how can I compress the file so it doesn't take up my whole hard drive? Any other useful information is appreciated.
Cheers!

OP
PBG4MAN
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
This thread is a good read

Why is it a good read?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you dont really need to read it, forty two dvdvx plus is a great app, that plus dvd2one x will allow you to use toast to burn the movie onto a blank dvd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
use dvd2onex, or convert the file into a filetype that is smaller, like avi.

OP
PBG4MAN
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
or convert the file into a filetype that is smaller, like avi.
Sorry to sound like a doofus, but how?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
depends on the original format, but forty-two dvd vx plus can convert almost any format into an avi. quicktime pro can also export to other formats. but if its a straight dvd rip, I recommend using dvd2one x.

Reaction score
I'd like to chime in here...

Macman said:
depends on the original format, but forty-two dvd vx plus can convert almost any format into an avi. quicktime pro can also export to other formats. but if its a straight dvd rip, I recommend using dvd2one x.

Ok so last time I asked about this I got my throat ripped out, so I'd like to be clear about something. I own all my dvd's. I want to copy them to a single file, just like this original poster. Here's where the waters are not very clear.

I use dvd2one to rip the dvd format to the drive. At that point, I've got the Video TS folders. I've been using handbrake to convert it to an mpeg4 file. Can I do this with Quicktime pro? Will quicktime pro do a better job at it? I want the files to be around 700 mb...some will be larger i know....most of mine are anyways. Is there a way to get a single file like im getting with handbrake, but get the 5.1 sound?

Thanks,
Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
Someone explain to me why I am stuck with a demo of dvd2onex but was told it would compress my whole movie it only compressed 30 mins of it and it told me thats what it would do.
Also about DVDREMASTER how bad are the 5 sec things?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
johninc said:
Someone explain to me why I am stuck with a demo of dvd2onex but was told it would compress my whole movie it only compressed 30 mins of it and it told me thats what it would do.
Also about DVDREMASTER how bad are the 5 sec things?
the dvd2onex only does 30 minutes to give you a reason to pay for it. find me in ichat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
Thanks macman

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.