How do I use my macbook in "clamshell mode" with an external monitor?

Reaction score
The apple website says to close the macbook and then wake it up with a mouse or keyboard. I'm using a mac keyboard, and a Logitech bluetooth mouse. Neither seem to wake the computer up. I've already gone to system preferences and checked the "allow blue tooth devices to wake the computer up" box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
I'm guessing you would have to set the macbook not to go to sleep with the screen down. I think it only wakes up if the screen is poened as well. I may be mistaken though, I haven't fooled around with this aspect of Macs in any grave detail.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Apple web site is correct. I use an external keyboard and mouse - both wired, and have no problem whatsoever operating in clam shell mode. Sometimes if a blue tooth device is not "paired" properly it will not work to bring the MacBook out of sleep. See this article which is mostly talking about a blue tooth phone but the idea is the same.

http://apcmag.com/mac_101_how_to_pair_your_bluetooth_device.htm

Also do a search at the Apple knowledge base site.

http://www.apple.com/support/

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I believe that the computer also has to be plugged in when doing this...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good point! You can't operate in clamshell mode when on battery. I know, I tried it - by accident. It took me awhile to figure it out. :Smirk:

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Or you can use something like InsomniaX (read the disclaimers).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.