Setting default permissions...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB
How can I keep from being prompted to 'authenticate' with my admin password? When I'm logged in as myself (which is always, as I'm the only user of the Mac), I don't ever want to be prompted to re-enter my password.

Additionally, I want all of my folders to have full read/write access by default.

No prompts, no passwords, no resetting of folder permissions. When I want to copy or move a file to another location, I want it to just happen.

Any suggestions?

Ken

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only way to do what you're asking is to enable ROOT access on your machine and use that as your primary account. That is not recommended by Apple nor anyone else who is interested in keeping their machine secure.

The beauty of OS X (which in realty is a Unix OS) is that it is secure and protects you from yourself and attacks from outside.

One reason why Windows XP has so many security patches is because it's so easy to get into the inner pinnings of the OS. MS has at last realized that and made Vista somewhat more secure - but not as secure as OS X.

But if you want to open your machine to the world, read this from Apple:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1528?viewlocale=en_US

Regards.

OP
kbalch
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB
Thanks. I'm familiar with the root user concept, but was hoping there was a way to accomplish what I wanted from within the normal admin account.

I don't want to open myself up to the world, as it were, but do want my machine open to me. I understand why the defaults are set to protect the lowest common denominator user from themselves, but I was hoping there might be an appropriate setting for the rest of us.

Ken

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.