Powerbook Help!

Reaction score
Hi forum, im new here.

I have some questions I wonder if you can all help me with

I just bought a second hand powerbook G4, im a music student and needed a Mac for music production. Ive always been a PC person, this is my first MAC.

Ok basically, I think the guy reset it before he sold it to me, It all seems to work fine, BUT after using it for a few hours, installing new software etc.

When I reboot or start it again, allmy settings and software I put on have dissapeared!

Eg, I installed firefox, and i use foxmarks as an extension as I use several computers, every time I re-start the Mac, firefox is stgill there, but the desktop is totally empty, and all my bookmarks and extensions have dissaperared..

Whats this all about, do I have to save all my settings before I close down the Mac? Surely not, its driving me madm at the moment im just not turning it off completely and just putting it to sleep in between uses.

Ive managed to network it on my home network so I can share files between my desktop and pc laptop with the Mac, so thats all ok.

Anyone have any ideas what this is all about?

Thanks in advance

Sid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Are you logging back on as a different user?

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi, yeah that would make sense, but no im not, im the only user.
It may have something to do with that though.
The previous owner did not use it with a password and I have set one up.
When I restart, its his name in finder in the left hand side list.
I can change the name to mine but when i restart its gone back to his.

I have changed the computer name to mine in accountg settings etc, but when I open the connect to dialog on my vista laptop to access the mac it obv asks for computer name and password.

Again I have to use the former owners name and my password to access the MAC, weird... even though it says the Macs name is mine..

Any clues? Im at a bit of a loss with this

Reaction score
By any chance, is Deep Freeze by Faronics (I think) installed?

It is a program that resets the computer back to its original settings every time you log out -- a great thing for a computer lab setting; not so great for you.

That is what is sounds like...

OP
S
Reaction score
nope, not that either...

At least its not just me being stupid then,!

Its very weird, and annoying that I cant close the computer down....

Sounds like im stuck with it, guess thats what happens when you buy second hand computers eh :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66
Try this.. Go to System Prefrences -> Accounts, and create a new one for yourself (make sure to give it admin privileges). Then, log out and back in on the new one.. Make a few changes, reboot, log back in the new one and see if it saved the chagnes

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.