Blinking underscore after restarting from BC-Assistant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
different
Hello:)

Situation:

Since a while I'm setting up iMac's. With Boot Camp Assitant I create partitions, then booting from a Windows Vista install disk, installing Vista and hurray! But one of the 8 iMac's I'm setting up like that, didn't work as planned:

Problem:

I created a 32 GB (recommended) partition with BC-Assistant, the last step in the assistent is, to insert the Windows install disk and click 'Start Installation' then it restarts, booting from the DVD.
Normally it would load the data from the DVD (or something like that) and then the Installation menu appears.
But in my case right after the iMac restarts, I get a Windows-typical black screen with a blinking underscore in the upper-left corner, hanging (meaning nothing more happens).
I've also noticed that the other iMac's i've done, showed the same blinking underscore right after restarting, but it was a little bit smaller and it only appeared 1-2 seconds.

What the heck could that be?! And the funny thing is, approximately the 8 iMac's are identically. Or at least I did the same procedure 8 times the same way and the problem occured while setting up the 4. iMac. The ones after worked perfect like the first three iMac's.

So... :D Does anyone, have any suggestions what the problem could be here?

I thank you already now!

Greetings

Kaplui

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Are you using the same installation disc for each machine? Is it possible the disc may have gotten finger prints on the surface of it?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
different
Yes I'm sure. Like I said:

I did the same procedure 8 times the same way and the problem occured while setting up the 4. iMac. The ones after worked perfect like the first three iMac's.

Meaning the installation disk was working before and after!

But thanks anyway:(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes I'm sure. Like I said:

Meaning the installation disk was working before and after!

But thanks anyway:(

Sure, but realize that some optical drives are more sensitive than others. I'd take a close look at that disc under bright light and just double-check it. Happens to me all the time - and I work in a corporate environment with 1200 nearly identical PCs.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
different
Yeah, that's right.. But no luck here. After cleaning I tried it again but no success. Hmmm...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.