Files That Just Won't Go Away

Reaction score
Hello! First post! Anyways, I'm not really a switcher. I have had Macbook Pro for 1 year and iMac for 2 years.

I'm having a problem with two files that stay in my trash. If I empty the trash it just makes the sound and leaves the files. If I open the trash and drag the files out they go away, but as soon as I empty the trash again they come right back. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do here? I have a picture of the files if you want to see them.

Also just a side note, not many people know about. Command + Shift + 4 obviously brings up the manual size screen cap. BUT did you know that you can press space bar on a window to get a perfect screen cap of just the window?

EDIT: Ok so I figured it out! Such a weird remedy for fixing it. I found that when I unmounted my partition on my desktop the files left the trash. If I then mounted it back on the files came back. So what I did was backed up my files on the partition and used Disk Utility to erase the partition. Mounted the new partition and VOLIA! FIXED!

I love when I figure stuff out :)

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hello! First post! Anyways, I'm not really a switcher. I have had Macbook Pro for 1 year and iMac for 2 years.

I'm having a problem with two files that stay in my trash. If I empty the trash it just makes the sound and leaves the files. If I open the trash and drag the files out they go away, but as soon as I empty the trash again they come right back. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do here? I have a picture of the files if you want to see them.

Looks like you'll need to force-empty the trash. Read this page for various options for doing that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Antiglare)
Looks like you'll need to force-empty the trash. Read this page for various options for doing that.

Thanks so much I had similar files stuck in mine. Big save.

OP
P
Reaction score
Ok so I figured it out! Such a weird remedy for fixing it. I found that when I unmounted my partition on my desktop the files left the trash. If I then mounted it back on the files came back. So what I did was backed up my files on the partition and used Disk Utility to erase the partition. Mounted the new partition and VOLIA! FIXED!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Ok so I figured it out! Such a weird remedy for fixing it. I found that when I unmounted my partition on my desktop the files left the trash. If I then mounted it back on the files came back. So what I did was backed up my files on the partition and used Disk Utility to erase the partition. Mounted the new partition and VOLIA! FIXED!

LOL! That's sorta like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer. Well so long it worked out... later on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.