MacOS X Missing Manual

Reaction score
This is not a request for help... just a comment to see if anyone else out there is like me... I bought the Mac OS X Missing Manual to go with my new MacBook. I love this series of books... humor and easy to read. Instead of using the book as a reference, I am reading it from cover to cover. Am I a geek??? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I read that one myself, and was a little disappointed that it didn't have more. It's definitely a good book for a beginner, but it didn't have enough depth for more geeky pursuits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB
I read it twice prior to receiving my new iMac and have referred to it occasionally since. Humorous and comprehensive, though not to the level of detail I'd like.

Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
I read it twice prior to receiving my new iMac and have referred to it occasionally since. Humorous and comprehensive, though not to the level of detail I'd like.

Ken

I agree. Excellent for beginner-moderate types, but for the "ultimate geek" not enough detail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
You want geek?

There is a great book called "OSX for Unix Geeks".... of course, you have to be a Unix geek first!

;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I agree. Excellent for beginner-moderate types, but for the "ultimate geek" not enough detail.

Absolutely - but for "switchers", it's quite awesome. It doesn't proclaim to be the end-all, be-all of Mac knowledge, but it touches on most of the key areas. I also liked O'Reilly's Running Mac OS X Tiger, which turned out to be a great primer for the Terminal and helped me understand some of the underpinnings of OS X. Great read too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
Yep! You're a geek.

Doesn't mean you don't have company though . . .

Reaction score
The Missing Manual series is an excellent choice and one I regularly recommend to switchers and new users.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.